Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Backlash and cheating....

Backlash and cheating....

You're going to HATE me on this one. I'm guessing Darcy is going to really hate me on this one as it was in his backyard.

Take a wild guess what I paid for this hombre. And no following the hotlink back to the auction site ya' cheaters!

Mattison no. 177 Edge Sander:

I'm open to suggestions on lifting too. It looks like there's holes in the base towards the top on the front and back that I could sling it into the pickup with. I'm guessing pull the front table, and that'd be the easiest?
    Last edited by Martin Wasner; 05-04-2017 at 5:47 PM.

2. A much cleaner one sold on ebay in 2015 for $3500. So my guess is "something quite a bit less than that".

Can you sling chains around the bottom, under the flare-out parts on the base?

Uh.... How big is your pickup? That looks trailer-worthy to me.

Nice snag, though!!! Let us know how it works out for you.

no hate from here im happy when people get good machines and good prices.

Ive seen huge German Stroke sanders go for 600.00 if there is no one there that wants it. So if we guess right is there a prize? ill put in 475.00 plus buyers premium and you didnt say if there is a loading fee. know thats low however ive seen stuff where there is no one there that wants it then other stuff where they are paying 3/4 of new? Tey are getting crafty with loading fees at least one recent one no idea of the weight is your pickup okay with it? I normally put 2" hard maple beams down to spread the weight over the whole surface. I do the chain thing to the bottom as I need to lift from above the machine and not forks below many times.

I have bought some stuff from Hoff before.

lunch costs more than the 12.50 that set you back....

I had seen that auction, but I have too much going on right now.

I am not sure I would stick it the bed of a truck, I know my 78 dually would handle it, but not sure I would want to deal with it like that.

that's not too far from me.

The Mattison are good sanders, Ekstrom Carlson 112 was probably the best ever made imo.

2 long straps -1 each end around the indent in the base above the foot, pinched back to center would be the route I would explore, if it had to be picked that way. It is only about 3300 lbs, so a 3/4 ton pickup can definitely handle it. But for ease of load and unload, forks and a trailer would be safer and easier.
    Nice grab.

I'm glad someone bought it that can use it, rather than a scrapper. (I don't know if you found it via my deals and discounts note though). Many on the owwm.org list would tell you to rent a tiit deck trailer, only a few $ from Uhaul. It will be much easier to get on and off, and less chance of harming it. It it were closer I would have bid myself.

Terry Therneau

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    2 long straps -1 each end around the indent in the base above the foot, pinched back to center would be the route I would explore, if it had to be picked that way. It is only about 3300 lbs, so a 3/4 ton pickup can definitely handle it. But for ease of load and unload, forks and a trailer would be safer and easier.
    Nice grab.
    3300# is a bit much for a 400 mile road trip in my pickup. It's a ¾ ton, and heavily sprung, but technically it's only rated for 1500#. I threw my SLR in the back thinking it was only 2700# only to find out it's actually 3700#. That was a top heavy load and an unpleasant drive home.

I really don't want to drag a trailer through Chicago. I hate driving through there, much less towing. The tolls will cost more than my new widget. Another reason to buy a flatbed pickup next time.

Hopefully it's fuctional and doesn't need much more than cleaning, lubricating, and tinkering. Can't beat the price though even if it requires some effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I have bought some stuff from Hoff before.
    Hoff is a local auction house. When I bid on this thing, it was 5:30 in the morning while half asleep and brushing my teeth. I thought it was only an hour and a half away. Wrong state....

I told my electrician about it, all he cared was that we could put it on 480, we are out of distribution on 208/120.

Well, use your judgement, it is your truck. You do know that a 3/4 ton pickup does NOT mean literally 1500 lbs/3/4 ton, correct? Most 3/4 ton trucks have an actual payload rating of 2500-3500 lbs going by the gvwr sticker on the door.
    My 1 ton Ram has a payload capacity of 4600 lbs for example- haven't used quite all of it yet.
    Ford produced some softer sprung "3/4 ton" pickups in recent years to cater to guys wanting a bigger, but softer riding pickup who didn't need all that payload.

You create vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    Well, use your judgement, it is your truck. You do know that a 3/4 ton pickup does NOT mean literally 1500 lbs/3/4 ton, correct? Most 3/4 ton trucks have an actual payload rating of 2500-3500 lbs going by the gvwr sticker on the door.
    My 1 ton Ram has a payload capacity of 4600 lbs for example- haven't used quite all of it yet.
    Ford produced some softer sprung "3/4 ton" pickups in recent years to cater to guys wanting a bigger, but softer riding pickup who didn't need all that payload.
    The pickup is tagged at 8900#, it weighs about 7400#. Mines old enough the name is exactly what it means. I've hauled plenty of stuff way overweight. A unit of plywood doesn't even level off the ride height, that's 2600#.

My pickup is from a time when Chrysler didn't offer a single rear wheel one ton, but with the right packages you got a ¾ ton door sticker with 1 ton suspension and driveline.

Placement of that weight would be my only real concern. When it is up high like it was with my top mmotor SLR coming home, it lost it's "race car edge". lol Sixteen years of use and almost 300,000 miles doesn't help either.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    You create vacuum.
    Took a second. But I'm not real sharp in the a.m.

300,000 is pretty good, I only have about 195,000 to catch up.
    This was my best "get" and also my most top heavy- was a bit uncomfortable, but only about 125 mile trip.
    IMG_2193.jpg About 7' and 3000 +/- lbs. Looked like an upside down kayak with a skeg sticking up.
    You may already know, but a friend turned me on to a very nice east/west road south of Chicago- Rt 30. No tolls, fast, and not busy at all. I took it recently coming from MA on my way to Oregon when I delivered a mortiser and tenoner to a friend there, and picked up my second T26. I dreaded Chicagoland, and Rt 30 was a breeze! Of course I don't know where you are headed, but....