Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pfeil Chisel

Pfeil Chisel

While at Woodcraft this morning buying hinges for the peanut's toy box one of my friends that works there showed a new stock item, a Pfeil bevel edge chisel. He stated he was thinking about buying a set and asked if I knew anything about them. Of course I knew nothing but the chisel felt good in hand and had IIRC K-5 something steel hardened to 60 RC, most important low Chrome (all information from my friend doing his homework). On a whim and to help a friend I picked up a 19mm to take home and give a run. Once home I sharpened it on a brown and a white Spyderco stones. It went quickly, the back was slightly hollow and the bevel was ground 25 degrees primary with 30 degree secondary. The white Spyderco gave a nice burr that came off with a single 'pull' both stones gave a good polish even before stropping. After stropping the edge felt and looked sharp. I do not normally 'test' for sharpness but as this was a test I did. The chisel did a good job of paring both Pine and Oak end grain with ease and leaving a smooth surface with no noticeable dulling of the chisel.

Bottom line: It is a very nice chisel for around $40 USD. If I needed a set of bevel edge chisels (like another hole in my head) the Pfeils would be in the running.

ken

Thanks for review, Ken. I remember George Wilson likes that steel too.

Blog Entries
    I like the Pfeil chisels. I can get them sharp. I use mine for paring and PM V11 for chopping.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

If their chisels match up to their carving gouges, they will be excellent.

$40 is an excellent price.

Yes, I have a couple of Pfeil carving gouges. First class! Pfeill is highly regarded overhere in Europe. No reason why they would loose any of their excellence with a trip over the ocean.

I have quite a few of their carving gouges. Expensive but nice.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Yes,I have been using Pfiel carving tools since about 1965. They are excellent.

I have many antique Addis and other chisels,some 18th. C.. Antique tools can be pretty variable in quality. I have a set of Addis that were left so HARD,they would not take a good edge. I had to heat them to a dark brown color before they were O.K. to sharpen,and hold an edge.
    Last edited by george wilson; 05-05-2017 at 11:14 AM.

I purchased a nice set based on the recommendation of the owner of a local Woodcraft store. My interest was that they would be sharp out of the box and at the time I had no idea how to sharpen. They were very sharp out of the box and they worked well..... but I was learning to sharpen on some cheap (quality and price) chisels. Made some nasty mistakes leaving some horrible marks..... and then I inherited a bunch of chisels of mixed quality (a few great ones, at least garbage chisel......) so I gifted the Pfeil set to a long time friend and chose to keep the mixed set that had been in my family for a very long time.

So, from what I saw, I was very happy with them. I prefer the handles on what looks to be some old stanleys. My good friend now lives about a 16 hour drive with no stopping so i rarely see him, but he is still using those chisels.

What do you think about Two Cherries carving tools and chisels? Are they in the same league as Pfeil or not?

I had a chance to use the Pfiel chisel chopping and paring the hinge mortises for the peanut's toy box yesterday. As expected from the way it felt in hand at the store it is a chisel I could learn to love. The balance is good, the handle is transparent in use for both chopping and paring, and it takes a great cutting edge. I expect a few more sizes will follow me home.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Martin View Post
    What do you think about Two Cherries carving tools and chisels? Are they in the same league as Pfeil or not?
    Frank, I just recently purchased some additional Two Cherries carving tools, I had previously purchased a few 10+ years ago. The carving tools are nicely made, the steel takes a wonderful edge, but Two Cherries has gone way crazy with the polishing the steel, currently it seems like they feel the need to polish the cutting edge now. I had one #1 rounded over so bad it took hours to make it a useable tool. The older Two Cherries tools when new, just had the cutting edge established and unrefined, left for the user to properly sharpen, much preferred tonew tools. Thank goodness they have given up on the thick coating of lacquer they used to slather the steel with..

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    I had a chance to use the Pfiel chisel chopping and paring the hinge mortises for the peanut's toy box yesterday. As expected from the way it felt in hand at the store it is a chisel I could learn to love. The balance is good, the handle is transparent in use for both chopping and paring, and it takes a great cutting edge. I expect a few more sizes will follow me home.

ken
    How does the handle look after a few whacks from a mallet? My thought is the bench chisels are better suited to paring because of the bevel angle and elm handles. Although I am more interested in the Pfeil butt chisels.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaPlaca View Post
    Frank, I just recently purchased some additional Two Cherries carving tools, I had previously purchased a few 10+ years ago. The carving tools are nicely made, the steel takes a wonderful edge, but Two Cherries has gone way crazy with the polishing the steel, currently it seems like they feel the need to polish the cutting edge now. I had one #1 rounded over so bad it took hours to make it a useable tool. The older Two Cherries tools when new, just had the cutting edge established and unrefined, left for the user to properly sharpen, much preferred to new tools. Thank goodness they have given up on the thick coating of lacquer they used to slather the steel with..
    Interesting. There are unpolished Two Cherries chisels available in the United States. Unfortunately the set that I saw took a bath in lacquer; both the handles and the blades.

Great to hear Two Cherries have similarly great steel. I am not that worried about initial sharpness as I will need to sharpen/hone them anyway.

So how are you liking the spyderco stones?