Thread: European Hinges - Which Method Is Better For Fastening?

European Hinges - Which Method Is Better For Fastening?

I'm about to start a kitchen cabinet door and drawer front replacement project. Last time I did this I used Blum Compact hinges and was pleased so I'm going the same route on this project. But I'm having second thoughts on maybe about using the plastic inserts that came with the hinges instead of screwing directly into the wood.

The hinges are Blum 38C and they all have plastic inserts. Last time the doors were Honduras mahogany and I used wood screws to secure the hinges. This time the doors will be 25 year old pine.

Initially I planned on fastening the hinges like I did before. But after watching some refresher videos, I noticed all of them used the plastic inserts both in engineered wood and real wood. Now I'm wondering if they would be better than screwing directly into wood but I have no idea how well the plastic inserts will hold up in pine, particularly in a somewhat tropical environment.

Any thoughts?
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

I've used a lot of Blum hinges and being very old school I've always used screws and always will.

If you use the plastic inserts you will need a press to install or rig up some kind of system to hammer them in. These require an extra set of holes and to my mind are more work then they are worth unless you have a BLUM hinge boring system that will bore all 3 holes and press the hinges in too. I don't believe the 38C is available with the tool less INSERTA style. (I could be wrong.)

For the regular clip top Blums I much prefer to use INSERTA over the screw or the plastic inserts and I have never had a system failure with these in any wood species that I have used including pine, alder, cherry and others.
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 05-05-2017 at 10:36 AM.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

In the shops I have worked in the plastic inserts are for melamine and MDF doors. You should be able to get the hinges without the plugs but be sure to get screws.

Julie-- I always use screws. The plastic inserts MIGHT work, but I've used screws for over 30 years. I KNOW they work.

Thank you for the replies, guys.

I too have always used screws but the doors I've made were red oak, walnut, mahogany and sapele. I've never used pine for a kitchen cabinet door or any cabinet door for that matter. But when I was looking at some videos I saw the plastic inserts used in wood. Up to that point I thought the plastic insert was only for MDF and other composite materials often found in laminated cabinets.

As long as I see the pine is holding well, I'll stick with screwing into wood.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Thank you for the replies, guys.

I too have always used screws but the doors I've made were red oak, walnut, mahogany and sapele. I've never used pine for a kitchen cabinet door or any cabinet door for that matter. But when I was looking at some videos I saw the plastic inserts used in wood. Up to that point I thought the plastic insert was only for MDF and other composite materials often found in laminated cabinets.

As long as I see the pine is holding well, I'll stick with screwing into wood.

Thanks again!
    Good call Julie . Have to say - I LOVE YOUR SIGNATURE LINES
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Since you say you are not used to pine, if you use a vix bit to center the screw hole, use the smallest one you have and do not drill full depth. Just enough to start the screw in the center.

Screws or plastic inserts, both work equally well. I've used both types on multiple brands on many timbers and composites and it doesn't matter. What matters is installing them precisely and tight. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Any thoughts?

I really don't think there's much of a difference in anything with either of the three mounting options from Blum. I've used all three, the only one that I've ever had a failure on was Inserta, but it was a bad hinge, and an old design that they have since changed. I'd be confident in any of the options.

If you don't have a minipress, you're better off just drilling the single hole and screwing them on though.

I made up a pine stile and installed two hinges. I used a #5 vixbit to drill the holes and installed (2) #6 x 5/8" screws, as Blum recommends. I then installed the screws with a screw gun. It was pretty solid.

The theme of the project is an old boat house. So I'm not too worried about the softer pine getting a little beat up over time. But no way did I want the hinges to come loose. I think screwing directly into the wood will work just fine.

Thanks for all the help!

I just finished a set of cabinets in blue pine and used screw in type cups (Salice, similar to Blum). First time in years I've built anything in pine but the screws hold just fine. Being blue pine there were some worm holes that happened to fall where the screw wanted to be and I just epoxied the screw into place. I've also had good luck "tightening" up screw holes w/ CA glue (medium or thick)...YMMV. I always use the screw in type hinge and just use the smallest vix bit to start a pilot hole. Easy peazy! And no $ invested in specialty boring machines or jigs.

I have used the Blum hinges with plastic dowels in everything for 20 years without a failure. In my opinion they work well.
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

If you can get Insertas those are the best. Being able to install and test fit doors then remove everything for finishing quickly and easily is worth every penny. I haven't used screws for hinges in years, just way too easy to want to go back to that method.

good luck,
    JeffD