Thread: Concealed Motorized Bar:

Concealed Motorized Bar:

Hi all,

When designing and engineering this piece, I looked everywhere for some sort of example I might be able to mentally reverse engineer to overcome the many obstacles that this project came with. I couldn't find anything like it, so I thought you might want to check it out now that it's completed. The video quality kind of stinks, but you'll get the gist:

https://youtu.be/r7WnMZ2q3yY

Some closer looks at the drawer system - 100% hardwood construction with end-grain pattern inlay:

IMG_1327.jpgIMG_1326.jpg

Main cabinet is appleply construction and the moving section makes no contact with the Walnut floor and is clad with Dekton Halo quartz composite.

The drawer system consists of Maple, Walnut, Paduk, Douglas Fir, Macassar Ebony, Gabon Ebony.

The drawers consist of Sapele, African Mahagony, Maple, Gabon Ebony.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 05-06-2017 at 8:12 AM.

Wow, very nice!

John

That took a bit of engineering and craftsmanship. Nicely done!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    That is awesome! That's one hell of a house too

Blog Entries
    So how did you canteliever the bar if you didn't use castors?

What is the substrate of the white finish? Do you order the shape you want and build from there?

Insane concept and well executed Sir!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    So how did you canteliever the bar if you didn't use castors?

What is the substrate of the white finish? Do you order the shape you want and build from there?
    Hi Andrew,

There was no "ordering of shapes" that was done here. The cabinet is constructed from 3/4" Appleply, and then was clad with a 6mm high gloss Dekton composite. Every last little piece of the appleply construction was drawn first, along with every goove, dado, and rabbet.

Screenshot (26).png
    IMG_0181.jpg
    IMG_0186.jpg
    IMG_0239.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg

I used Hettich 28" heavy duty full extension glides, along with flush-mortised track/bar (lateral stability), and soft non-marring casters that make contact with the finished countertop where the sink is located. These casters, and one that is mounted through the hole that you see in the side of the cabinet under construction define the 3/32" clearance lines.

Hopefully these pictures shed some more light. I'm glad you guys like it. It was a bit of a brain-bender, for sure.
    Last edited by John J Wilson; 05-07-2017 at 9:10 PM. Reason: Added image.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the response. In the video, I was seeing the lower part move, but now I see it was the upper part moving away from the camera. Makes a lot more sense. Oops

That finish is really cool and I've seen it a lot in magazines. I'll have to look into using it.

Great job man

9. AMAZING job! What did you use for motors to actually move the top?

Hi John,

Wow, is the first thought that came to my mind. That's simply fantastic.

david