Thread: First step in finishing--bookpress

First step in finishing--bookpress

Following Mr. Becker's dicta, I am beginning the wood selection phase of my next project, a Chippendale style bookpress, constructed after the manner of Eastern Virginia cabinetmakers. (Also a rather transparent woodgloat.)

I am using chalk to mark defects or features and then will mark out rough dimensions of the basic pieces to be cut from this walnut. All the boards are from the same tree, and the heartwood runs between 14 and 18 inches wide. The walnut is fairly undramatic, which is fine for this piece since it depends on form, rather than surface decoration, for its visual interest.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice wood score.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

That's going to be a very nice piece, Steve! And thanks for posting about the lumber selection...it really is so important and can be the difference between a good project and an outstanding one. There is no rule that says you have to cut your boards parallel to the "mill" edges nor that you have to use every square inch of a board...pick the best stock, match for grain and color and go for the "outstanding" catagory!

Flat bracket feet remind me of Boston, not Virginia. Oh well, shows me how little I know. Good looking project; keep us posted as it goes along.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    There is no rule that says you have to cut your boards parallel to the "mill" edges
    Very true--although in this case there are no mill edges, only the edges of the tree. I am marking the best line, and then tacking a plywood batten to the waste (sap wood) to make the rip cut on the table saw, after crosscutting to managable lengths. Yes, electrons will give their all, ripping this down with a Disston 23 isn't my idea of a good use of time.

Alan--yes there are flat bracket feet, as well as ogee brackets, and even some (to my eye strange looking) ball and claw feet on Virginia secretaries.
    The Hay Shop in Williamsburg was known to have had a copy of Chippendale's Director during the period. (It's in an estate inventory.) Virginia planters seemed to favor "neat and plain" furniture, even on the items they ordered from England, so the Virginia cabinetmakers didn't get much chance to strut their stuff, except on some extraordinary ceremonial chairs and a few other items.

Progress reports to follow, though my pace has usually been glacial, so no bated breath.

We're on the same wavelength, Steve, regarding the edges. I wrote "mill", as in sawmill, but truly meant it as the edge provided on the board, natural or sawn. I keep a piece of hardboard around that makes for a quick and dirty "fence" when I need to cut a component out of a board on an angle. I just use my pinner to temporarily fasten the "fence" on the top, taking care to put fasteners only where they will not be in the final component, and then run it through the saw. Works with both the TS and BS very nicely. (A guided saw system can do the same thing) Only a slight angle can sometimes make for an incredible difference in grain match when making panels...the coveted "invisible" glue joint really can be possible!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice looking project ahead of you, good luck.

Richard