Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mailbox Post

Mailbox Post

Hi All,
    This is a picture of a new mailbox post I made. I guess someone did not like my old post because they ran it over one night and snapped the post off at the ground and left . The new post is made from Sassafras with a couple of coats of Sikkens teak color stain. The bracket that is holding the house number sign my Cousin made for me from some rejected steel bends they had at the shop he works at. The house number sign my Sister gave me years ago that a friend of hers at work made for her out of Aromatic Cedar.
    Thanks for looking,
    Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dave,

Beuatiful job..... almost too beautiful. I hope it don't make an even nicer target for those hit and run rascals. May want to put some type of blockade in front of it for protection

Very nice. I wish you would make some for some of my neighbors!

Thanks for sharing it.

Bob

I have an idea for your rascals. You may loose your mailbox post again but not twice by the same automobile. Drive an old roadgrader blade into the ground leaving about 12" sticking out of the ground then plant flowers around it so it doesn't just sit there and look ugly. If they run over your mailbox again they will damage their vehicle too. You will get to loan them a telephone to call home for someone to come pick them up. Happened to me.

By the way that is a very nicely done post.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

Dave that looks great!

I hope this one lasts a LONG time!

Beautiful job,

I am with Jim on this one.

2 inch angle iron, 30" below grade 18" above.

(Younguns in my neighborhood have lifted trucks)

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Very nice Dave, i only hope they don't make a repeat performance.

After replacing a few posts, my Uncle moved from wood to what he knows best - steel. 6" I beam sunk 4' down with some decorative scrollwork in the recess. Box is 1/4" plate. It has only needed a few touch-ups.

Wes

After our mailbox post was taken out (by moi, sliding down our driveway) - I moved the mailbox to the uphill side of the driveway. The replacement post was a cedar tree stump from the family farm. Last winter a local kid took it out with his dad's brand-spanky new Saturn SUV. The cedar tree stump was very badly damaged, but it didn't give up without a fight. Apparently the repair bill to the Saturn was several thousand dollars. The body shop guy said something to the effect of "this was done by a mailbox post?!?" until he found out it was a tree stump. The kid was good about sticking around, so it's not like it was a hit-and-run.

That's real nice Dave, great job.

My mailbox has been beat up recently, before it got hit I was thinking of making a similar one. I'd hate to work hard on it and have some kid smash it.
    I did a lot of stupid things as a teenager, but destroying other peoples property was not one of them. Except for my father's tools!!!

Pete

Talking

That is a beautiful post!! Far nicer than the one I had when I lived on a state highway. 5 car wheels welded together with 4 2ft 3/8 re-rods stuck in the ground. Snow plows knocked off 3 posts, 1 per year before I went to this. When they knocked it over I would just go out and set it on top of the snow pile. I would not reccomend the imobile reccomendations though, I considered it. When I inquired(on installing a railroad iron 4 ft in the ground) I was told the law in Iowa would consider it criminal intent If I put an object that close to the roadway that could cause extreme property damage or fatal injury.
    So I chose a way that would move with minumal damage to my mailbox.

On a sidenote, up the road about 10 miles a guy lived right on a curve.
    he mounted his mailbox on an axle driven in the ground, his box was mounted to the bearing so if hit it just spun around and turned right back in place. My brother hit it one night by accident on the icy road, He had a dent in front where he hit it and in his rear quarterpanel where it hit him back.

Great mailbox post. I'm conjuring up ideas for ours, and yours has given me some ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dannels
    ...He had a dent in front where he hit it and in his rear quarterpanel where it hit him back.
    Something about the image that invokes made me laugh out loud. Great story.

- Vaughn

Dave, way to make lemonade out of lemons. I'm sure this wasn't a high priority before the the last one was taken out. Now that it's gone, I'm sure you're glad to you got a chance to build this. It looks just great. I hope no one thinks it an appealing target, though. Great job!

Dave... Very nice job. Looks great.

But I am with Per Et Al on this one. My thought was to make the column from say 1 inch stock with lock mitre joints. Then slip a solid two inch cold rolled steel bar into the ground a few feet and fill the whole kit and kabutal up with concrete. Looks like wood on the outside. But those mongrols may likely be back and this time, there will be a nice V shape to their vehicle. Not even the cops can miss this damage!
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

I really like it, Dave. The slight arch in the support is "just the ticket"!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks all for the kind words,

The post is made from 1x material that slides over a treated 4x4 post (thought of using a white oak 4x4). When I reported the broken post to the police the officer told me that I should put a steel post in the middle (hmmm wonder if this happened to him). But, with all the Sue Happy People in this world I'm sure the next one that hits it would be one of them and they would probable win so, I would be out a mailbox post + damage to their vehicle (crazy as it may be) so I did not use any metal reinforcement. My last post when they hit it they drug it half way down the street so it did not give up with out a fight . My Uncle told me too bad I did not see drops of oil in the street (meaning a broken oil pan) that would of made it a fair trade . My only hope is that their cost was greater then mine.

Once again Thanks,
    Dave