Thread: Is there a market for used router bits?

Is there a market for used router bits?

I have a big collection of router bits but have been drinking the Neanderthal koolaid for a couple of years now. I have around 80 - 1/2" shank bits and another 45-50 - 1/4" shank bits. Most are Amana brand and a few are specialty carbide spiral bits (Onsrud)with a couple Porter Cable also. I would say around 20 are in wax still and 25-30 are sharp and out of wax. The rest need sharpened, only 3-4 have chips in the carbide. I'm looking to finance the materials and tools to make a half set of molding planes and other assorted woodies

-Should I sell them as is? As a group? Piece them out?

-Would it be worth the cost ($5-11/bit) to sharpen them before I sell? (there's a tool and die shop near me that specializes in sharpening woodworking tooling).

I know I wont recoup the original investment but I'm not sure what I would be looking at. The routers and table are easy to sell in town on craigslist (anyone in the Cleveland area feel free to message me) but I don't know what bits should go for. Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

-Patrick
    Attached Images Attached Images

It is a resounding "YES" from me. Most of my bit collection was bought used from ebay and elsewhere. What I've noticed is most bits are one to two time use unless they are pattern or cut off and even then they are sometimes rarely used.

I probably have over 100 very nice Amana bits and sets of bits all used and in great condition that I have purchased just in case I need them. I'd say I have around 200 to 250 Whiteside. For people like me that may use them someday I buy them used and have them if I need them. I regularly look for used Whiteside, Amana and Freud often and have a catalog of most of the bits I own even so I don't accidentally buy them again. Also when I drop dead my family will know what they are worth.

Just make sure they are in good shape, clean them up and list em I say!

It's all up to you. Selling and dealing with (taking pictures, uploading, posting, replying, packaging, shipping) that many bits is going to take a lot of time and effort. If you find some joy in it, by all means proceed. Otherwise, group then into a handful of lots and sell that way. Either way don't sharpening them, you likely won't recoup that cost.

Blog Entries
    Since you are a contributor you could post a few on the classifieds board and see how they sell.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I would also vote YES as you appear to have quality bits. Selling in small lots will make it much easier for you. Individually you might made a couple dollars more, but not likely worth the effort. I would take some good photos and sell in lots.

Robert

I would get them sharpened before selling if you can get a good price from the guy near you. Sell faster al a little higher $, I'd expect.

Scrap carbide has a good price.
    Bill

From what I have seen, I do not think that used router bits are worth trying to sell or will be an easy sell --too much competition from the "quality imports" and Harbor Freight type/clone bits/bit sets. And I cannot see spending $5.00 to $11.00 per bit for any that need sharpening.

What I would do: make up a "package deal" -- router(s), router table, and the bits -- and post an ad on Craig's list, Ebay. That way you -- hopefully -- sell the whole lot at once and are not bothered about packaging, etc., the individual bits.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 05-13-2017 at 6:44 PM.