Thread: Need advice about window box support

Blog Entries

Need advice about window box support

I made a 50" long flower box using 6" by 1" redwood. It will be mounted below a 2nd story window. I'm writing to ask members if one piece of 1/8 thick by 3/4" wide flat steel on each end bent 90* and attached so vertical section is behind box will support 60 pounds. That weight is an estimate of the box full of dirt and is most likely higher than its actual total weight.

No, that won't be enough. You would be better off making the brackets out of angle and positioning them at each end. They will still be pretty much invisible. You will have to weld the joint however. Cheers

That's a lot of weight - it might get even heavier when rain soaked. Do you have welding resources and skill? I would consider welding up a support from square steel tubing.

The bent flat stock might work if it had a welded diagonal brace. For 50" I'd probably use a bracket or two in the middle as well as both ends. That thing could kill someone if it came down!

JKJ

Blog Entries
    I have no welding skills whatsoever. I'm going to get some 1/4" flat barstock and make 3 "L" shaped brackets...on in the middle. I built a 98" flower box for the large window in front and I think I could even stand on it. I hung it with 3 3/16" "L" brackets. I could try to get my son-in-law to weld up something for me but he is a tough guy to catch with free time.
    I will not leave the box up if I have any doubts about its safety. If I just ran a piece of chanel along the bottom that would support the weight with some heavy screws to hold the top vertical.
    Looking back, expecting 1/8" "L" shaped supports to do the job was a dumb question. But I'm going to try coming up with something sans welding.

Blog Entries
    Gonna be fun putting it up with 2 bad shoulders, 2 bad knees, and recovering from severe iron anemia (hemoglobin at 7.3 for those in the medical field). Me and ladders don't make a good pair.

Blog Entries
    Besides, my wife decided she would just use plastic flower pots instead of filling the box with wood.
    But what I built the box with is incredibly heavy wood, and it's kiln dryed. I've been told it is not cedar like I thought but redwood.

Blog Entries
    Went to Farm & Fleet to buy some steel to make braces to hold the box. Found one 3/16 piece about 3 feet long. But it was 2 inches wide and I was hoping to find something narrower...and heavier. Just as I gave up looking and turned to head for the checkout I saw some 'L' shaped brackets on the bottom shelf.
    There, to my delight, were 1/4 steel brackets already made up, 90 degree, 3 countersunk holes on both lenghts ready to go for just $4 more than the bar I bought that I'd have to cut to length, bend 90 degrees and drill. Perfect. Even the same length as the boards I made the shelf with. Grabbed a handful of lag bolts and off I went. Hung the box the same afternoon and the wife is happy.

Good result! Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    ...and the wife is happy.
    Ah, the secret to happiness in life is always make sure the wife is happy!

JKJ