Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: High School Needing a Laser Engraver - Need Advice from Experts

Blog Entries
    I'm all for high schools teaching kids a useful function. And Yes, I did fundraising as a student for my JHS and HS bands. But we DIDN'T PRODUCE the items we sold. A COMPANY did!
    And Keith, selling cookies is a bit different than the water bottle. I EAT every day, one box of cookies might not really affect a local bakery. If the school was selling year round and all the time, I might get upset.

I LOVE the idea of kids learning how to work, program and use the machines. I'm 100% with JDS not to sell to schools.
    I have locally one of only two (that they know of) Chamber of Commerce that runs/funds a makerspace.
    When I first learned about it, I was upset that they would be doing a lot of what I could do, and I'd lose business. So far, they have low powered laser and equipment that is only of use by kids learning, no way producing items to sell.
    So learning is fine, I just don't like idea of selling products to fund it.
    Good luck with the laser!
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I'm in Ross' camp on this. i also wonder how they'll teach laser and cnc to kids who can barely read. At least that's what the news stories say. To muddy the water further, there are far more trade jobs available but the schools have stopped teaching trade skills. Here in St. Louis they don't even teach writing anymore.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

3. Our High School here has a GREAT tech building where they use teach CAD/CAM and use both a laser and a CNC along with other very cool toyls
    http://www.ohsd.net/domain/211

I've spent some time talking with some of the teachers (my son is a Freshman) and their CTE program is both well funded and supported locally by businesses (including small businesses) The school is helping turn out their future employees and is doing a GREAT job preparing them.
    http://www.whidbeynewstimes.com/news...-of-champions/

Just my (hopefully not too) myopic vision... and I wish you and your school all the very best with your endeavor. You are right that our children deserve the best and I applaud your endeavor. As a parent, I appreciate your stewardship.

Lawrence

ps- both I and the local school use Epilog Helix lasers... their CNC (I believe) is a Shopbot and I use a Shark HD.
    Last edited by Lawrence Richards; 05-12-2017 at 7:50 PM.

THANK YOU for the feedback!!

5. Can you provide me with Trotec contact also, I am in the sam eboat.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Kris Tennyson is the person to contact at Trotec's Corporate office. I have provided you with his contact information via PM.
    Thank you , Ed