Thread: Quick Question to Jet 1640 EVS Owners

Quick Question to Jet 1640 EVS Owners

On my Jet 1640 EVS, (new to me) should I unplug the lathe at the end of the day so the RPM light / indicator goes out?

Also, anyone know if there is touch up paint in Jet white?

Thanks
    Tim2017-05-06 18.19.52.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Boger View Post
    On my Jet 1640 EVS, (new to me) should I unplug the lathe at the end of the day so the RPM light / indicator goes out?

Also, anyone know if there is touch up paint in Jet white?
    You mean 1642, right?

There has been past discussion on the wisdom of unplugging a lathe with a VFD. The pro: protection from line voltage surges and lighting spikes that can damage the FVD. The con: you can wear out the plug and receptacle with repeated plugging/unplugging.

A better partial solution may be to wire a switch in the line or plug into a switched receptacle. Is your lathe 110v or 220v? The problem with switching the 110v hot wire is a voltage spike from lightning can travel down the ground and common even with the switch turned off. This hazard can be reduced by switching all conductors. A direct or close lightning strike can still jump across the switch contacts but this is unlikely unless your location is prone to strikes.

I have a 2-pole switch that disconnects my Powermatic lathe from the line. On the 110v Jet 1642 I use a normal single pole switch and don't worry about the lightning issue. (My utility and shop power is underground which might help.)

My experience: I left my 1642 plugged in continuously and after about 12 years the VFD quit. There is no way to know, of course, if it was going to die anyway or if leaving it plugged in was the cause.

Paint: Someone in this thread said Jet sent them some paint: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ff-White-Paint

JKJ

While it is not Jet brand paint, I have used Rust-Oleum Appliance Epoxy in Biscuit color to touch up my 1642. Looks good to me.

Tim, I always unplug all my power equipment when I am finished using it. That way I don't have to worry about anything. My house has experienced lightning strikes, power surges and even worse, a leaking water pipe! As far as the plug wearing out, I have been doing this with my 1642 for 11 years and the plug still looks and works like new. Besides, worse case, the plug costs maybe $20. What does it cost to replace the VFD, motor or anything else on your lathe?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I'm with Steve. I always unplug anything with electronics. Plugs are cheap.
    Joe

Fact is that an outage or surge can hit while you are using the lathe or other tool. The only safe way is to have a good surge protector in use.

I have been unplugging mine every time since it was new probably 15 years ago-no problems.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

I just switch the breaker off. I also have a utility company provided surge suppressor installed on the service.

switching the breaker on and off with no load on the circuit should be easy on the breaker. Also a new breaker costs less than $10.

C

9. Jet sells paint. Not cheap but is an exact match of course. I experienced a lightning strike. Went through the ground wire. Fried everything even those that were shut off. A switch does you no good in this instance. The power company told me the only safe way is to unplug. When I leave the shop for the day I ensure all is unplugged. Pretty expensive to replace vfd's and motors. By the way all circuit breakers were melted and of course all surge protectors were fried. Amazingly some of the motors were not injured. My 220 motors all made it fine as there were not grounding wires.

I put in a DPST (switches both legs) switch in front my my 220V lathe because the VFD draws around 40W when idle.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    You mean 1642, right?

JKJ
    1640 is the model number of the new version. 2" shorter. There is also an 1840 which has two versions 2hp and DVR, I believe.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).