Thread: Recommendations requested for high quality exterior lights

Recommendations requested for high quality exterior lights

Hi all,

The latest round of storms did a deal on 2 of my exterior garage lights. Tack welds broke on the suppporting piece. They were not of great quality either in construction or finish, which didn't weather all that well. So, I'm shopping for replacements. Sconce or lantern style, leaning towards lantern. And I want better quality products.

However, I have no clue what brands or manufacturers of exterior lights are the better quality products. Any recommendations from the Creekers who have purchased lights in the last several years?

Thanks for your help!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Brian, Are you looking for a light that you turn on and off with a switch or one that comes on by itself when it gets dark?

If the latter, I'll check the brand I use this afternoon when I go to the shop. These are very high quality commercial lights.

I don't shop at the big box stores for outdoor lighting fixtures - they have a lot of junk and even with the expensive fixtures you are often paying for the art, not the quality. I go to my favorite local industrial/commercial electrical supplier. They sell high quality fixtures made to last - even the solar sensors are high quality and in a replaceable module. However, you get what you pay for - the big LED lights I use around the shop and barn were about $150 each, IIRC. Outdoor lighting is one place where it doesn't make sense to me to skimp.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    The latest round of storms did a deal on 2 of my exterior garage lights. Tack welds broke on the suppporting piece. They were not of great quality either in construction or finish, which didn't weather all that well. So, I'm shopping for replacements. Sconce or lantern style, leaning towards lantern. And I want better quality products.

However, I have no clue what brands or manufacturers of exterior lights are the better quality products. Any recommendations from the Creekers who have purchased lights in the last several years?

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Brian, Are you looking for a light that you turn on and off with a switch or one that comes on by itself when it gets dark?
    I don't shop at the big box stores for outdoor lighting fixtures - they have a lot of junk and even with the expensive fixtures you are often paying for the art, not the quality.
    JKJ
    These are switched lights. Agree totally on the quality of lights from the big retailers. Would guess that's where the existing fixtures came from. I'm willing to spend extra for better quality good looking fixtures. When we bought this house, I noticed that the house overall was well built and most of the finish aspects in the house were of decent quality, but there were some where the original owners obviously cut some corners. And the exterior fixtures are definitely in that category.

I looked at the box for one of the spare commercial fixtures I mentioned. (I bought 5.) This one is a large dusk/dawn security light but the same company may make something you could use.

My lights: All-Pro LED Dusk to Dawn Security Light, 200w equiv, 2621 lumens.

Eaton's Cooper Lighting Business, Peachtree City, GA
    www.cooperlighting.com

JKJ

Rab led for floods are pretty nice.

Depending on your taste Northeast Lantern makes a great light. Also Huberton Forge makes some very high quality high end lighting.

Hope that helps a little?

Thanks guys! Sorry for the delayed reply. Was away from the web yesterday..

John, although I'm looking for the decorative outdoor wall mounted lighting for this particular need, I will be redoing some other security lighting in the future so the link you provided is much appreciated.

Patrick, googled up both of your brands and those are some fine looking fixtures. thanks for the recommendations. looking through that today during lunch.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher