Thread: Making Lever Cap Screws at Brese Plane

Making Lever Cap Screws at Brese Plane

I recently posted this video to You Tube and via my blog. Thought it might be of interest to folks visiting the metalworking area of this forum.

Ron

Brass is so nice to work with. Does your lathe have automatic kick out of the lead screw when threading?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Bruce my lathe does not have a threading dial. I have to stop it back the cross feed out manually and then reverse it to perform another pass while single point threading. It has electronic speed control so reversing is easily done by a switch. Sometimes I think I would prefer a threading dial.

Ron

Do you ever miss time it and hit the shoulder?

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Do you ever miss time it and hit the shoulder?
    Who me? No that's never happened Bruce...........and if you believe that there is a bridge in Brooklyn that I can make you a real good price on. LOL

Yes I've crashed one or two but I am typically very attentive.

Ron

It's easy to do, alright. When I single point and have a small thread relief width I'll run the lathe in reverse and thread from the back side. That way, when you engage the lead screw you're starting from the thread relief and moving away from the chuck. It is much less stressful. In aerospace work, the standard thread relief is 1.5 times the pitch. That doesn't leave much room for error.

I used to love threading on the little Monarch EE with its automatic kick off. It would disengage at exactly the same point every time. Sweet!

Andy Rooney

That's a great suggestion Bruce, Thanks. A Monarch...........maybe in my dreams.

Ron