Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Super-spalted maple

As Olaf replied epoxy resin works well. Also fiberglass resin (polyester) works as well and is cheaper. Mix with the hardener as instructed & Thin with acetone until it drips off of a stirring stick. Add your roughed out piece and a quanity?? of the resin mix together into a VINYL bag. Play shake and bake every time you walk by and leave overnite. In the AM it will be hard and the fibers hard and the pores will be open like new wood. There is no discoloration of the wood and it cuts and finishes like new wood. Works every time.

Robert Baccus,

Can you provide a link or a product name for the vinyl bags you use for 'shake and bake'? I haven't been able to locate something via Google, described as a vinyl bag.

Is this a one-time use for the bag? Seems it would be.

I use yard trash bags--look for vinyl--acetone dissolves many plastics but not vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    I use yard trash bags--look for vinyl--acetone dissolves many plastics but not vinyl.
    From my reading, I couldn't find a functional difference between using alcohol and acetone.
    However, acetone is much more volatile, stinky and aggressive. I was also a bit concerned that it might dry/harden too fast.

Which is why I went with rubbing alcohol.
    OK, i've been told many times, by a chemist, that acetone won't harm you.....but it gives me a hell of a headache.

(and gets me kicked out of the house)

I haven't tried everything but acetone is the standard thinner in fiberglass work--boats ect. and I know it works well.