Thread: Colors Fading

Colors Fading

I build wood trunks from baltic birch. I stain the interior with a water based stain and then apply 3-4 coats of water based lacquer. Both the stain and lacquer are sprayed. Due to the quick drying properties of the water based lacquer I am able to spray it in the morning and assemble it in the afternoon. Cleanup is also easy with water.

I also do the same on the exterior but when exposed to the sun the stain fades. So Im trying to prevent the fading. I tried brushing an exterior stain (which I presume has UV protectants) but its difficult to get a nice even finish so would prefer to stay with spraying.

Any suggestion how to address this problem

Thanks

Fred

Are the fire trucks used/displayed indoors or outside? If the answer is outside, you need to use exterior grade stain, or use paint for even better durability. But since you said the topcoat is lacquer, it's hard to imagine they go outside as that wouldn't last long. So if it's indoor use only, a topcoat with UV stabilizers in it should solve the problem. I only use WB topcoats, and use General Finishes High Performance Poly when I need good UV protection and chemical exposure is not a concern. Might be a good choice for your firetrucks. Sherwin Williams' Kem Aqua Plus is another WB product with a UV package. I'm sure there are several solvent based products, as well, I just don't have any experience with them.

John