Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desmond Stephan W10 Woodworking Vise

Desmond Stephan W10 Woodworking Vise

I've acquired a Desmond Stephan Mfg, Co. (Urbana, Ohio) woodworking vise. I was going to resell it, but I have decided to keep it. I did a rehab to it (disassembled, sandblasted, painted and polished). I don't have any pictures right now, but will later.

I've searched quite a bit for this model on the net, but can only find references to the 7" model (W7 W-7). This is a W10 10" model. Very beefy. This is a quick action vise and the handle does not even spin a full revolution. All the way counterclockwise and push in or pull out, then turn clockwise and tighten. And, it has a stop (dog) as well help in position with a piece of spring steel (similar to a Record 53). This is a bit heavier than the Record though.

I really liked the original color (a darker grey with a dark blue/blue-green cast), but settled with a charcoal grey from the HD spray paint department.

Anyone else have one of these?

Todd

Here are some after pictures. I can post a before picture after I resurrect my Mac Pro from the grave due to a bad graphics card (I think I have a before picture, anyway).
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is a beauty. I have no info about it other than it looks and sounds exactly like the current large Jorgenson vice, quick action and all. Perhaps Jorgenson acquired Desmond Stephan Mfg? Every detail is so similar its curious. Nice restoration.

Nice rehab. Now all you need is one of these.. http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?grp=1304
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Yeah, I have one already, just didn't take a picture of it. Not a LN though. I bought a replacement handle for one of my Emmerts some time ago, but didn't like it, so I made one out of curly maple. I'm using the bought one on this vise.

So, call me over the top... but it will be awhile before I'm able to mount this vise to a bench, so I'm making a box for it for storage. 3/4" birdseye pine, finger jointed box, marigold yellow milk paint on the inside and out, and the bottom and lid are scrap cherry ply, so those surfaces are getting BLO. I'll varnish the whole thing when done.

But it will look nice, and be useful afterwards too.

Blog Entries
    Great looking vise. I'm sure it will serve you well for many years.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

The box is complete. Now, I can store the vise and box until further notice.

I really like how the marigold yellow and cherry go together. For the birdseye pine box, it's 2 coats of milk paint, inside and out. The lid was one coat of BLO, then both pieces got 3 coats of Pratt & Lambert 38 - satin, followed by a coat of paste wax. The color in the 2nd picture is best representative of the lid color - the first pic has a blue cast due to a reflection. The 1/4" cherry ply has been in the shop for a while and had darkened up nicely already.

edit: The unfinished ply inside the box is what the vise rests on. Otherwise, the vise never touches the box itself when sitting. (When carrying, it bumps around a bit). The ply is not fastened to the box.

Thanks for looking! A fun project. Nice to do something quick and small like this and get the satisfaction feeling!

(Oh, I wrote my name and date with a black paint pen. I bought a set recently and I'm going bananas marking everything. I wrote on top the milk paint and under the varnish.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Todd Burch; 10-11-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Mac is working again - here are the before pics.

DSC_4305.jpg DSC_4306.jpg DSC_4307.jpg

End of thread.

I just picked up the same vise from a local retired woodworking teacher I paid $30.00 for it. I need to get it cleaned up like your vise nice work!

Let's see some pics!

I just started rehab on mine it's in the electrolysis tank now getting some rust off. Unfortunately I didn't take before pics! Kind of mad at myself. I will repaint it but will take pics before I do and after.

image.jpgHere's the vice in the tank

Hey Vinnie… it's been almost a year since you've claimed to have one. And, now you post a picture of a some slime in murky water…???

Looking forward to some REAL pictures. Todd

Lol it's been a while life got in the way. I'll put up more pics tonight when I finish getting her cleaned up. I'm not going as detailed as you did on your restoration but it will be nice

image.jpgSome progress