Thread: Bandsaw switch question

Bandsaw switch question

I have an old Delta bandsaw with a 110 motor. I want to swap that motor for a bigger one that runs on 220. Do I need a different switch, or can I just use the one that is there. Thanks.
    -Howard

Blog Entries
    I have dpdt switches on my 220 circuits. It is dangerous to do otherwise. I bought a dpdt lighting switch and mounted in a box on my table saw. Don't mess around with it. 220 voltage requires two legs and a neutral. If you are unsure of yourself, find a knowledgeable person to help.

There are books available that tell you about electricity. It not only can shock you, but also cause fires. The switch must be matched to the load.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 05-08-2017 at 5:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    ...220 voltage requires two legs and a neutral. If you are unsure ....
    In the case of a 220VAC motor, that would be 2 hot legs and a ground.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 05-09-2017 at 7:51 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Pollack View Post
    Do I need a different switch, or can I just use the one that is there. Thanks.
    Almost certainly. The 110V motor is probably switched only on the one hot wire in the three wire lead. The 220V lead will have two hot wires and one ground wire, and both those hot wires must be switched to safely turn the saw off. So you need a double pole switch.

I have run into 220V motors wires with a single pole switch. It's extremely dangerous. The motor will indeed stop when the switch is thrown (because the voltage that runs the motor is across the two hot wires), but the motor windings will remain energized at 110V above ground. It's a recipe for hurting or killing somebody.

If you go to Grizzly web site you will find the switch you need.It won't be period correct but it will work

Thanks. This is just the advice I needed.
    -Howard

Look at the Woodstock D4159. It's a 2 pole magnetic switch so it will prevent your saw from coming on when power is restored after a power interruption. It's sold by Amazon and Grizzly.

Well, everyone is right that you shouldn't use a 120v switch, but don't just assume you have a 120v switch. Check on it before buying anything.