Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9.5ft Bowed Face Board - How to Proceed

listen to Mel he understands the material. you need support on both sides of your jointer it is not too small. Ive done 12 foot 8" wide 2" thick rock maple on an 8" jointer when I started, the machine was like a toy with the heavy material but with support it did the job. its just one board not a full time thing, if it was then id chuck the jointer for something with some size and weight.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 05-10-2017 at 11:31 PM.

Not a bad technique. If it wasnt 8/4 I would try it. That wood doesnt bend even when i stand on it.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    While remodeling a bank boardroom with walnut, I ran into this with a 8' piece of walnut that I needed to build a door.

I ripped the board exactly at the center of the door and joined the pieces back together, using dowel pins in the splice.
    The boards were joined with the bow in the two pieces opposite and they cancelled each other's bow.
    It worked to perfection. This was over 40 years ago. Today, I would use biscuits.

My bow was just a bit, but never less a bow.
    -------------------------------------
    Adrian Anguiano

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". Jeremiah 29:11

If it were me I would hand plane until it sits flat then run through the planer, flat side down. Re-assess and repeat.

Blog Entries
    I think Russell gave you good advice.

Russell, I went to High School with an Emmitt Smallwood in 1954. Do you know him?. Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I think Russell gave you good advice.

Russell, I went to High School with an Emmitt Smallwood in 1954. Do you know him?. Just curious.
    No Lowell, afraid not. No one in the family tree with that name.

Edit: At least that I'm aware of

Blog Entries
    Thanks for responding, I was curious.

Emmitt was a jock and everyone knew him.