Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need metal rod help

Need metal rod help

I have a custom order for 30 cutting boards similar to below. I need to add a 3/8+ metal rod to the one end. I am clueless with metal. Any suggestions as to what type of metal I should use and a vendor. Easy to cut? They will be used in a restaurant on a Caribbean island, so rust resistance is a plus.

AP Board.png
    Robin
    Bluebird Woodcrafts

Hard to figure out pic. What's rod for? Use stainless steel for rod, but do your research, there are different types of SS and some with much more rust resistance than others. You don't want rust on a cutting board... Hopefully someone will chime in who knows SS. Randy

Robin, I can't tell anything from the mini pic. Please post a larger one.
    Any SS with an L designator, 304L, 316L, etc. will be suitable. I believe most restaurant kitchen fixtures are made from 316.

Not "easy" to cut, but you can cut it with a hacksaw and a good bi-metal blade. Of course, the larger the diameter the more effort required.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Stainless and cut it with a abrasive blade in a chop saw. You can use a mitre saw but it will melt any plastic bits. Do it outdoors so the slag does not ignite wood dust. Zoro or speedy metals is probably your cheapest supplier. Will it just be inserted into the hole from one and and the hole plugged? threading stainless is tough.
    If it is to be threaded you will have to find a food safe antisieze for the threads. If you do not use antisieze the threads will gall and lockup before it is tight.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Stainless and cut it with a abrasive blade in a chop saw. You can use a mitre saw but it will melt any plastic bits. Do it outdoors so the slag does not ignite wood dust. Zoro or speedy metals is probably your cheapest supplier. Will it just be inserted into the hole from one and and the hole plugged? threading stainless is tough.
    Bill D.
    I plan to drill in from the sides, insert the rod, then plug the ends with a 3/8" wood dowel.

Resized pic (this is all they gave me). It is sort of U shaped with a rod going across the opening.
    AP Board 4x.jpg
    Robin
    Bluebird Woodcrafts

The rod may not need to be solid. Perhaps stainless tubing would be OK also? You could cut it with a tubing cutter.

copper pipe would look neat as well.

Blog Entries
    I think stainless would be overkill, and it's a PITA to work with. If you get stainless hot enough to discolor it looses its stainless quality. I would go with aluminum. Cut it on a regular chop saw with a carbide tipped blade. It's light and wont rust... should be cheaper than stainless to boot and plenty strong for the purpose.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Al will corrode in the salty air without some kind of coating after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Gibson View Post
    I think stainless would be overkill, and it's a PITA to work with. If you get stainless hot enough to discolor it looses its stainless quality. I would go with aluminum. Cut it on a regular chop saw with a carbide tipped blade. It's light and wont rust... should be cheaper than stainless to boot and plenty strong for the purpose.
    Just to add my own personal slant in our collective efforts to assist in completely over-thinking this:

If this is used in food service application I'd seal around the holes where the rod (or tube) is held. Sounds like Robin has got the insertion side planned already, but I might epoxy them in to keep the wee nasties at bay...? Or, ugly rinse water from running out of the tubes and onto the salad forks.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Gibson View Post
    If you get stainless hot enough to discolor it looses its stainless quality.
    Absolutely not true of low carbon stainless steels. Hospitals, nuclear reactors, ship building, restaurant kitchens, to name a few, all have countless numbers of SS welded joints. If that were true all those joints would rust and fail. They don't.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Absolutely not true of low carbon stainless steels. Hospitals, nuclear reactors, ship building, restaurant kitchens, to name a few, all have countless numbers of SS welded joints. If that were true all those joints would rust and fail. They don't.
    Yup, all the brewing and milk house equipment is 316L and I've seen systems that are over 30 years old still chugging along.

316 is probably overkill compared to 304 in this use case because I'd wager the boards will fail first...

I am a retired sheet metal worker and have worked with stainless steel. I suggest you use type 316 stainless. (food grade) Cutting stainless is not as easy as cutting mild steel but can be done using plenty of lubricant while cutting. We used a product called "rapid tap" for this.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

316 welded tubing should be pretty easy to find and fairly cheap. It will cut just fine with a hacksaw, or if you have to have a perfect end, tubing cutters work, but take more time in my experience.

Robin
    Bluebird Woodcrafts