Thread: Miter joint options for console

Miter joint options for console

Hello,

I'm building a console type table based on this image. I'm using hard maple with 8/4 as the frame around it and 4/4 as the shelves/dividers. I want to have a miter on each 4 corners. Do you think simply gluing the miter is suitable, it's about 2" thick. Or, I was considering taking the time to do blind dovetails (but could be a bit ambitious for me) or hidden spline. Just wondering if you think that a regular miter would be just fine, since it'll also have the 4/4 dividers glued and holding things in place.

Thanks!

Console table.jpg

Either a spline or biscuits or dominoes in the miters. If it's all solid stock ( no ply) then the spline needs to be made cross grain so it will move with the panels.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Thank you. I think I'll try to go with a blind spline. If cutting cross grain, the spline won't be long enough, is it ok if the spline is made up of two pieces?

The splines can be made of multiple pieces. Make them from the same maple with the cut at the case pieces.

Yes, definitely reinforce the joint. Steve's method is good. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

You could also reinforce with dowels. Dark contrasting dowels would add an aesthetic touch too. You could put them in from both the top and the side for maximum reinforcement.