Thread: Paint Brushes

Paint Brushes

Does anyone have these, and what do you think of them? Any other suggestions on a good finishing brush?

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...14&cat=51&ap=1

What do you want to use them for? In general, for me they are shorter bristled than I prefer and are not tapered which I also prefer. Just my preference. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    What do you want to use them for? In general, for me they are shorter bristled than I prefer and are not tapered which I also prefer. Just my preference. Cheers
    Varnish, shellac, etc No painting.

Perhaps buy one and try it out. Cheers

Have you tried the inexpensive foam brushes? I buy them by the carton from amazon and find them excellent for stain, shellac and varnish. Best of all, there's no cleanup. Toss em when you're done. At about 30 cents each, you can't beat them.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

Those would not be my choice for shellac, for shellac you want a very fine bristled brush that leaves no brush marks. Shellac dries so fast that brush marks won't flow out before the material dries. I should add my favorite shellac brushes are Winsor Newton watercolor flats brushes with Taklon Gold bristles. They are very fine bristles are leave zero brush stroke marks.

I am also not a fan of foam brushes. For one thing some will absolutely not work with shellac, since they may deteriorate in the alcohol of shellac.
    Last edited by Steve Schoene; 05-12-2017 at 1:52 PM. Reason: Added shellac brush favorite

+1 on Jim's recommendation and the Jen Mfg ones from Amazon work fine with Shellac

I use these for varnish:

https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...m/GT-SHEBRU.XX

and the next ones for shellac and waterborne finishes:

https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...em/GT-WBBRU.XX

I don't use foam brushes either...
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

I use foam brushes with waterbased finishes. The best ones I found are at Woodcraft and Rockler. They have thicker (~1/2" diameter) handles. It's the easiest way to detect the good ones.
    Gary