Thread: Cost to etch a bottle

Cost to etch a bottle

Hey gang, I get approached from time to time to etch bottles. I don't have a rotary device (yet) but I'm considering getting one, as I'm hearing more and more requests. In order to sus this out, it would be helpful to know how you guys charge for etching bottles? Is it the standard $ per minute or to you do it on a per piece basis? In any case, what's a typical charge for, say, a wine bottle or a perfume bottle?

Thanks!
    Bob Crimmins
    -------------------
    OLT CNC - 64amp Plasma
    Shenhui CNC - 80 watt Co2 (Up From the Ashes)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crimmins View Post
    Hey gang, I get approached from time to time to etch bottles. I don't have a rotary device (yet) but I'm considering getting one, as I'm hearing more and more requests. In order to sus this out, it would be helpful to know how you guys charge for etching bottles? Is it the standard $ per minute or to you do it on a per piece basis? In any case, what's a typical charge for, say, a wine bottle or a perfume bottle?

Thanks!
    IMO it's worth it if you can get orders for multiple bottles or glasses at once. Then you can just charge whatever you're comfortable per minute on the laser; as the setup time and the art time is spread over a large number of items.

Unfortunately, that doesn't happen as often as we'd like. So we quote laser time, plus setup time (setting up the rotary), plus art time for single orders now. It works out to around $25-45. Most people want to pay around $5 to $10 for "something small". LOL They have no idea what it actually takes to get professional results.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Keith pretty much hit it on the head. I have a $35 minimum charge for typical engraving, if it's a rotary item then it goes up to $45. That would get someone a simple logo of about 2" x 2" and a name or minimal text. I really hate one-offs and will likely be raising my minimums again this year.

Thanks, guys. That helps a lot!

I'll start a new thread on how to hook up a rotary device to an old, generic, Chinese laser with no documentation. ;-)
    Bob Crimmins
    -------------------
    OLT CNC - 64amp Plasma
    Shenhui CNC - 80 watt Co2 (Up From the Ashes)

Q: "How much to etch this bottle?"
    A: "Depends on what's in it: I have to empty it first."
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I got request late today to mark a single bottle of Platinum Patron.

When I got home tonight I looked in the liquor cabinet and saw 3 lesser value Patron Silver bottles still in boxes and 1 open with about about 1/4 left.

I thought about dumping the Tequila in another container and trying a test in the morning.

Platinum Patron is about $180 to $200 a bottle. I haven't answered them yet.
    Red Bolt Laser Engraving
    Houston, Texas

I'd be very careful not to mess up the clients bottle
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kleiber View Post
    I got request late today to mark a single bottle of Platinum Patron.

When I got home tonight I looked in the liquor cabinet and saw 3 lesser value Patron Silver bottles still in boxes and 1 open with about about 1/4 left.

I thought about dumping the Tequila in another container and trying a test in the morning.

Platinum Patron is about $180 to $200 a bottle. I haven't answered them yet.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I'd be very careful not to mess up the clients bottle
    I intend on passing on the deal. Probably doable, but I don't really need anymore acid in my stomach this week.
    Red Bolt Laser Engraving
    Houston, Texas