Thread: Powertec vs Wolverine

Powertec vs Wolverine

Has anyone used the Powertec version of the Wolverine jig?

It's a pretty enticing alternative if performance is similar.

Then why the sad purple emogi?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Because buying knockoffs raises some ethical questions for me and using an emoji absolves me of my guilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    ...using an emoji absolves me of my guilt.
    After lunch today I ate a big slice of warm strawberry and rhubarb pie (from our garden) topped with a supersize of vanilla ice cream.

JKJ

Because buying knockoffs raises some ethical questions for me and using an emoji absolves me of my guilt.
    Excellent. Excellent!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

If a design is unique and patented, the protection usually lasts 17 years. But, when the time runs out, it is "fair game" to be copied. So unless Powertek is violating that intellectual property/patent (probably unlikely), there really shouldn't be any guilt. Not any more than buying generic drugs that are "off patent" or freely using the former trademark "Xerox copy", Aspirin, or Kerosene. But that's just my opinion...

Looking at pictures of the powertec unit, the photographer and media people obviously did not know how it was to be used, so that brings to question the design people. It shows the varigrind clamped on the butt end of the chisel.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Reminds me of when I bought a Tormek knock off. �� Looked like it, but not really the same quality. It has since died. Enlarging the picture of the Powertec vari grind, it appears it is designed to clamp on the handle instead of how the wolverine is designed. Not sure you can do that with this system. Would seem to be difficult for bowl gouges with long handles. I wouldn't like that if you need to have the handle installed.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

This post got me curious.

I went to Packard Woodturning, RoboHippi and Woodworker's Emporium and grabbed some options.

It was interesting to see options. Most seem to fall into 2 camps
    - total replacement for wolverine
    - "plug" into wolverine bases

One of the things that I like about using wolverine is that you can slide in accessories made by other people. That benefit alone is a great reason to buy oneway's offering.

Anyone have any that they like? Or any they don't like? Or any other's they recommend.

Thanks
    Michael

============================================
    Ellsworth

146202-img.jpg

Sharp fast

140909-img.jpg

Tormec (stand alone machine, or with wolverine adapter for tormec jigs on your grinder)
    http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merc...=sharp-tormek8

1408-W-img.jpg

From Robbo Hippi http://www.robohippy.net/

RoboRestOneWayCompatible.jpg

From Woodworkworkers Emporium - Stuart Batty platform plugs into wolvering + gauges for setting angle

SmallRound__95046.1449200489.300.300.png

angle gauges (buy 2 get one free)
    001001__32359.1449217777.1200.1200.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schneider View Post
    It was interesting to see options. Most seem to fall into 2 camps
    - total replacement for wolverine
    - "plug" into wolverine bases
    Or make your own for almost nothing:

sharpE_jig_dim_small.jpg

sharpD4_arm_small.jpg

sharpA_system_small.jpg

(Drawings I made for Josh Bowman's cheap sharpening system:
    http://nebula.wsimg.com/003b611eaaa4...&alloworigin=1)
    http://www.tristatewoodturners.com/articles.html )

JKJ

In fact, I have made this exact platform and v-arm, John J. I bought the Varigrind 1. However, I have a second grinder now. For $99 (and free shipping with Amazon) it's hard to justify (in my mind) the effort to make another one from scraps.

I could spend all my shop time making jigs. I instead prefer to spend all that time on this forum asking questions about what I should buy

No way I'd get the generic when the price is almost the same.

But you might consider just buying the oneway components individually. Last I checked, you could get one base and a v-arm for about $50.

I could spend all my shop time making jigs. I instead prefer to spend all that time on this forum asking questions about what I should buy
    Me too, except I'm usually too impatient to even take the time to ask the question!

At the moment I have two Wolverine bases and arms, several platforms and Varigrinds jigs. BTW, for those who haven't seen it, this is my favorite platform for the Wolverine:
    https://www.amazon.com/Oneway-3945-P.../dp/B007W1NC78

41Pnja2rfiL._AC_UL130_.jpg

The mini platform is smaller than the normal one. The size and the curvature allows sharpening shorter turning tools but I find it fine for almost everything - I seldom use the larger platform.

JKJ

I've only looked at the pics on Amazon for the Powertec varigrind "knock off". In the pics, it locks onto the handle of the gouge. It seems to me that would make it a bitch to control - you are a long way from the wheel - and repeating grinds would be difficult. For example, on the varigrind, the protrusion is somewhere between 1 3/4 and 2", depending on which expert turner's opinion you subscribe to. On this one, the protrusion would be several inches and it seems to me that would be much more difficult to do repetitively.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Mister Jordan. . . . thanks for posting the sketches of the homemade jig. I built one like that a few months ago. Works GREAT!

Can't believe folks part with a hundred bucks so easily.