Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Built a Morris chair. Now I can't afford the cushions!

Built a Morris chair. Now I can't afford the cushions!

I've always wanted to build a Morris chair. Finally got around to building the one out of the Feb 99 Wood magazine. Big learning experience for me! Got it done and I love it. Figured I'd have an upholstery shop make the cushions with leather since that's what I remember most of this style chair having. WOW! The first place quoted me $2000 for just the leather and foam. Noooo. OK, how about a good grade of vinyl? $750 for materials plus labor. Really? For 2 cushions? Talked to another upholstery shop. They thought that was terribly high. They ended up quoting almost the same. Man, I know I'm getting old, I remember $.25 gas, and walking uphill both ways to school, but still! How do you buy a leather recliner for $750 but can't get 2 vinyl cushions made for that? I was going to do a Prairie Sofa next to go with it, but can't take out a second mortgage just to do it. LOL I know they're "custom made" and a professional needs to get paid for their knowledge but what an eye opener. The tuition for my "learning experience" is going to cost me big! Greg

This is why I make any chairs or stools with a removable plywood base. foam on top, fabric folded over like a Christmas present then stapled from the bottom. You can staple a piece of cardstock over it all on the bottom to hide the mess. Another choice is look at lawn chair cushions and design around that size. I found the best padding is felt carpet underlayment. It still has some give after years of use. foam will flatten in under a year. Were there ever enough horses for all the horsehair cushions made?
    Bill

down here in texas you just gotta find a Mexican upholstery place i think i paid a 1/4 what other places with nicer building were charging.

I decided not to use leather because it was so expensive. I've made 2 chairs, I used regular fabric with strong primary colors for the cushions and it was much less expensive.
    IMG_0198.jpg

What's the feasibility of doing cushions yourself? Surely wholesale suppliers on the internet like https://www.leatherhidestore.com

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Marty View Post
    What's the feasibility of doing cushions yourself? Surely wholesale suppliers on the internet like https://www.leatherhidestore.com
    This plus Bill's suggestion about a plywood base and good quality foam and the usual build-up. Not all foam is created equal.

Not related to upholstery but I am building a display cabinet and got some quotes for the beveled glass for the sides, front and shelves. First place quoted me a low price of $673 and they had another supplier that would have cost me over $1,000. Found another glass shop and got all the glass For $533. These are not huge pieces of glass.

Glass is also more expensive than I thought it would be. I was guessing before I went pricing that it would cost me around $250 - $300.

I too remember premium gas at 34 cents / gallon; eggs at 50 cents a dozen and a new car costing me $3,500.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

12 or 15 years ago a made a pair of Morris chairs with matching foot stools. I had maybe $150 in materials to build the chairs. Imagine my surprise when the leather covered cushions set me back $1300. I may have gotten a break because the owner seemed thrilled to be working on something other than recovering someone's old couch BTW, my first new car was $3900.

I really wouldn't go with vinyl...just doesn't breath well. You might look into a man made "leather". Some call it Brisa, or softhyde, or some other clever marketing term. Less $ than leather, and can be less than designer fabrics. It breaths well, feels good, cleans easily, and lasts.

As others have suggested, you may find it less costly to source the material separate from the upholstery work.

Blog Entries
    The fact about most finished leather is that the color layer on top is plastic. So it actually breathes about as well as... plastic. Aniline dyed leather breathes well, but will also easily absorb liquids & stains.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Not related to upholstery but I am building a display cabinet and got some quotes for the beveled glass for the sides, front and shelves. First place quoted me a low price of $673 and they had another supplier that would have cost me over $1,000. Found another glass shop and got all the glass For $533. These are not huge pieces of glass.

Glass is also more expensive than I thought it would be. I was guessing before I went pricing that it would cost me around $250 - $300.

I too remember premium gas at 34 cents / gallon; eggs at 50 cents a dozen and a new car costing me $3,500.
    Glass - I too found it to be kinda pricey. I made an oval mirror several years ago. 'Bout $80 for a square edged glass mirror to go in my frame. Not so bad I guess. But then I opened my trap a little further. "I'd like it beveled 1"" - $300. Ulp.

I would not recommend making the base cushion for the chair by stapling fabric to a plywood base.

The cushions are meant to be loose, and you can take the covers off and throw them in the washing machine.

Don't make leather covers, use good upholstery fabric over good quality stiff foam. Yes real cushions are going to cost real money, even the foam will be a couple of hundred dollars for a pair of chairs.

Here's a photo of mine, now 17 years old, still going great.

Morris#4.jpgMorris#5.jpgMorris#6.jpg

Regards, rod.

That does sound quite expensive. While it would be nice to support the local upholstery shop, there has to be a better option for you. I wonder if a furniture store could order replacement cushions for a Morris chair that would fit your chair. Or there are places like http://www.cushionsxpress.com/ that make custom cushions. I wonder how their quality and prices compare. There are also lots of places that sell slip covers for Morris Chairs. Maybe you could create cushions from a pair of slip covers and some high-quality foam. If you want leather cushions and could find a source for the materials, you might see what a shoe-repair shop would charge to sew them together. As a last resort, it would probably be cheaper than $750 to buy a new Morris chair, give away the frame, and use the cushions on your chair.

I still remember what the Morris style chairs in the old barber shop felt like. Those were nice! But, guess I'll go with a period style fabric of some sort. I'll still price a high quality foam like before. Greg

Tandy Leather? Lucky my wife knows how to run a sewing machine and likes challenges. Likewise my mom who built a 10'x10'x6' high tent from painter's dropcloth on a portable sewing machine. Even had a 3' wide fiberglas screen along one side. It's who you know.