Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Built a Morris chair. Now I can't afford the cushions!

Compare notes with this thread ?

05-07-2017, 4:55 PM
    Jim C Martin
    [OP]Member

Join DateJul 2010Posts105

Curved chair back and foam cushions

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Crimmins View Post
    As a last resort, it would probably be cheaper than $750 to buy a new Morris chair, give away the frame, and use the cushions on your chair.

I can see a posting on another Internet forum resulting from that... "I picked up a free Morris Chair! Now I can't afford the cushions!"

I have had custom seats made for boats and use a local foam/upholstery outfitter (Jerry's Norwalk) that targets the marine industry almost exclusively. They have a variety of "Naugatuck" style offerings and likely leather as well. Obviously late spring is a poor time to ask for any special deals on marine upholstery, but in the winter they are very motivated.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I built the chair and am building the ottoman, my wife is a seamstress and is doing all the cushions. Materials cost is going to be about 400 for the cushions. about the same as the cost of the wood.

Blog Entries
    Seems way way way high. I have eleven chairs at the upholstery shop right now (6 dining, 2 wing back, 2 tufted louis xvi parlor chairs AND a leather tufted love seat that required a full hide) all for just over 3k. That included replacing everything but the frames.

Thanks for the heads-up. I ju got wood for a coule of Morris chairs, but now need to pause until I can get some upholstery quotes. If anyone has a good online (cushion) source, do let us know.