Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Won't My TS Alignment Stay Put?

Why Won't My TS Alignment Stay Put?

A few years ago I did an upgrade on my Delta contractor's TS. Part of that upgrade was to add L-bracket trunnion adjusters, which are supposed to lock the trunnion in place. After the move, I went through the whole process of tuning up the TS. I checked alignment with a Betterly Uni-Gauge and all was good. But in the little time I've used the TS since the move, I've noticed the slot in the zero clearance insert has widened, but all of it has been to the right, so it's probably not blade wobble. FWIW I always use a Forrest blade stiffener.

When I measured alignment today I found the blade .005" off over a 5" distance. I used a mark on the blade to make sure I was measuring to the same spot on the blade. I don't remember what tolerance I had at the last tune up but I'm sure it was close to zero.

Is this kind of movement normal with the L-brackets supposedly locking everything in place. If I remember correctly, I didn't have this problem when I first installed them, ...IIRC.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    The PALs do adjust the rear position of the trunnion. They also somewhat lock it into position. Having PALs, I would assume the front bolts are not tight enough to do their job and are allowing movement there. Don't go too overkill on the torque, non on ewants a stripped bolt hole or a cracked trunnion casting.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I would have been happy with .005" on my contractor saw. Every time you touch the motor or tilt the blade, the blade shifts. It may not go back to the same place. Nature of the beast. I was so happy to get rid of it.

The trunnions on the contractor saws are commonly made from light weight metal that is easily distorted in my experience. My old Crapsman would twist and flex the trunnions every time I tilted the blade. PALS do not really help with this. This caused a major kickback one time as the fence to blade adjustment changed after tilting. I took a piece of MDF to the chest and thought I was going to die - seriously. Within a week I got my cabinet saw and have never had to readjust it in 8 or so years.

Julie: My Delta contractor TS is about 20 years old now. It has gone through at least 5 moves in that time. Alignment has not changed one bit.

BUT, like you I notice that my zero clearance inserts widen over time. Some of that may be caused by doing bevel changes in a hurry and not using the Wixey gage to set it precisely back to zero. For all I know, it could also be caused by abrasion :::shrug:::

I am going to agree with Glenn Bradley, check the torque on the mounting bolts.

By the way, I use ground blade stiffeners too and Forest blades. Every now and then, if I am pushing the saw a bit too fast in thicker material I will actually SEE the blade do a little flexing and it definitely leaves a mark. It also no doubt widens the kerf in the zero clearance.

BTW, snarky posts like "because it is not a Unisaw" do not help anyone out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Reischl View Post
    ...I am going to agree with Glenn Bradley, check the torque on the mounting bolts.
    I agree - I use a torque wrench on most bolts on machinery from saws to tractors. Another thing I believe is very important - lubricate bolt threads at least a tiny bit. Lubricating will NOT let a threaded connection loosen as some people believe.

JKJ

Thanks guys. To be honest, I can't say for certain the PALS (thanks, I forgot what they were called) solved the movement problems when I first installed them. I do remember the TS worked much better than it had been after the upgrade but that upgrade included a link belt and new fence so cumulatively it could have left a bigger impression.

I've heard many times a cabinet saw would solve the problems but I stubbornly stuck with the contractors saw because it did a pretty decent job and, probably more importantly, having no experience working with a cabinet saw, I don't know what I'm missing. I had a Stanley jack plane that I bought new in the early 80s and thought for years that is what a jack plane is. Then I bought a LN jack plane several years ago and it was like I died and went to heaven.

The one thing that bothers me the most is all the debris that gets kicked up on top of the table. I set the fence so it's skewed out a fraction so only the front of the blade is doing the cutting, but it never seems to make much of a difference. I'm now waging a war against dust and debris in the garage because it's so hard to clean with all the other junk in there. I'm attacking source that isn't being picked up by the dust collector and the TS is a major problem, even more than the router table.

There is some consolation in knowing I'll never get the results I want out of my current TS. At least I'll know when to quit trying. In the meantime I'll make do with what I have until I can find a way to bring a cabinet saw into the picture.

Thanks again!
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

The only way to solve top of the table dust and chips is with above the table dust collection.

I had a Delta contractor's saw w/PALs for many years and never had any problems w/alignment, though I rarely moved the saw or tilted the blade. The bolts do need to be torqued down properly. I may have a partial solution to the dust problem. I built a plywood box with a dust port to cover the base of the saw, and used a Sharkguard splitter w/top of the table dust collection. Anyhow, I sold the saw several years ago, but the guy didn't want the splitter w/overhead dust collection (he had his own setup). It's just sitting in my garage, you're welcome to it if you like, just PM me.

I don't know about Delta but I adjusted my Ridgid 3650 the day I bought it and it was just as accurate 10 years later when I sold it. It is not true that you have to have a cabinet saw for it to stay in adjustment for any length of time. There are 10's of thousands of contractor saw owners who will testify to this. My first table saw lasted nearly 30 years with one tune up as afar as I can remember. I have a suspicion that it is not a weakness of the saw that is causing your problem. I am not familiar with L-bracket trunion adjusters. Is it the same as PALs? Maybe that modification is giving you problems. Maybe your fasteners are just not tight enough.

Julie,

You did move to a new location and you did move so that combo may have knocked things out of whack a bit.

As to why it won't stay put, I can only point to my own Grizzly cabinet saw. When adjusting the cast iron top to be perfectly parallel to the blade, you loosen the 4 bolts holding the top to the saw body and bump it around. OFTEN, the washers there will have deformed/marred/dented/etc. just slightly and thus when you tighten again, they can move back to their original spot and throw things off. Sometime the washers need changed or just moved around a bit so you can get a fresh bite into a different location. This may or may not apply to your situation but it can happen.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    The one thing that bothers me the most is all the debris that gets kicked up on top of the table. I set the fence so it's skewed out a fraction so only the front of the blade is doing the cutting, but it never seems to make much of a difference.

There is some consolation in knowing I'll never get the results I want out of my current TS. At least I'll know when to quit trying. In the meantime I'll make do with what I have until I can find a way to bring a cabinet saw into the picture.

Thanks again!
    Setting the fence so it is skewed out a fraction? So ONLY the front of the blade is doing the cutting?

I saw that "idea" years ago in one of the magazines, posited by some "expert". What utter nonsense. If you skew the fence you are guaranteeing the back of the blade is going to do some cutting. Here is why:

Capture.JPG

The red indicates the blade, notice that the back left edge of the blade is cutting, on the up motion no less. This is one of the reasons you are getting a lot of debris on the table and in the air.

In reality, even when the blade is perfectly parallel to the fence you are liable to do some cutting on that back edge. That is because stresses can be relieved that will either bow the part that is against the fence, or the cutoff piece can bow as it is being cut for the same reason. But to set it up to guarantee that it will cut on the back side everytime? Nah. Don't do it.

Also, there are lots of "theories" about how much of the blade should protrude above the surface of the work. Some say it must just barely break through. Others claim it must be the height of the tooth. Others will swear it must be set to the depth of the gullet. Myself? I am pretty much a half a tooth guy. No real reason other than it seems to work best for me.

What you CAN do to stop that stuff from launching into the air is to put a floating "box" with a dust hose attachment above the blade. I tried an overarm one, it was a pain in the butt. So I took it off and made a mount that hooked to the ceiling. But it still seemed to be a pain, it worked, but it seemed like I spent more time setting it up than cutting. I do lots of different cuts on the TS, if I were doing mostly sheet work it would be great for that. I have not set it up in my new shop and probably won't.

About not getting the results you want: Don't buy into the idea that the more you spend the better a craftsperson you will be. It is pure and simple baloney. I have operated contractor and cabinet saws. Both do a good job. The biggest problem I see with contractor saws is that the owners think they are running a 5 hp 12 inch saw, they feed way too fast. They use a "combination" blade, which doesn't really do either job that well. I know, I used to do that. I finally got it through my thick skull, use the TS for ripping with a rip blade in it. I do not crosscut anything on the TS anymore, that is because I quit listening to all the old curmudgeons who bloviate endlessly about how a radial arm saw is worthless, dangerous, inaccurate, blah, blah, blah. Sort of the old adage, a poor craftsman blames his tools. I have been running a RAS for about 15 years now, it cuts deadly accurate. Yup, I have to tune it up now and then, about every six months or so.

Alright, this old curmudgeon is done bloviating for a while!

Julie:

I put PALS on my Powermatic Artisan 63 (a 1980s model contractor saw that I bought on craigslist). They dramatically improved the alignment, but as others have said, they don't help with blade tilting. After a new disaster, I have resolved never to tilt the blade. For the few times that I need to make bevel rips, I make a sled. I find it a safer way to make that cut anyway.

As for the over the blade dust, check out the Shark Guard blade guard with an over the blade dust port. I just bought one for the PM, and it's great. I'll probably post a review of it in the next couple of weeks. Lee Styron is a gem to work with as well; he will custom make it to fit your saw. My TS no longer sprays dust all over the shop.

Hi Steve, that is a nice looking over the blade dust grabber. My set up was sort of the same, minus the splitter. My only problem was that I do a lot of different types of work and different thicknesses. One of the worst is cutting boxes in half. The other problem is cutting thin strips. I don't think anyone is ever going to really solve the problem.

What happened with the bevel rip anyhow? Disaster does not sound good. . . . .

Julie, during your alignment process, did you check the tie-bars to be sure they are parallel? I believe Delta published a procedure for this step - PM me if you can't find it. When I aligned my Delta Contractor saw, I went through the parallel tie-bar procedure, installed the PALS, new pulleys and the linkbelt. As others have noted, I avoid tilting the blade, just in case it doesn't come back properly aligned.