Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A sharpening idea I've never heard of

A sharpening idea I've never heard of

On Tico Vogt's blog he suggests an alternative to stropping that I've never heard of before. I'll let him tell it....

The final step in honing the secondary bevel for my shooting plane irons is to push them into the end grain of a Maple stick charged with 0.5 micron diamond paste and sliding side to side. This ensures that the burr is removed, while not dubbing the edge as stropping might. Shooting end grain puts a premium on having a keen edge.

My initial thought is that this may be detrimental to the edge during the "push in" stage. Interested in others' opinions.

Blog Entries
    It is another validation of the theory that what one believes can be as important as what really takes place.

As is so often the case, what works for one doesn't necessarily work for all.

As in your initial thought, as soon as the blade's arris presses against the end grain there is likely some edge degradation. Once in, there is no guarantee the opening will perfectly form a fit to the bevel.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I've never tried it with standard irons, but I knock the burr off my toothed irons by driving (lightly) into end grain, skipping the diamond paste.

I strop on leather charged with green strop compound to knock the burr of of everything else.
    There's never enough time to do it right, but there's always enough time to do it over.

There might be something to it. I shave (when I shave) with an old fashioned double edged razor blade. The best blades are made in Japan, and standard practice is to draw it through a cork before using the first time. It really does make a difference in the damage to your face. No paste is applied, but I think it's the same idea.

Cutting end grain with the blade to remove the wire edge is an old trick. However I have not attempted it with compound. Sounds a useful idea to explore for someone (I do not use this method). I would suggest that it is more valuable for those that hone a micro secondary bevel. Even more so, if they also use the Ruler Trick. Those circumstances make it less easy to remove the wire by working both sides of the blade.

Pete, I also use Feather blades in a DE safety razor (I have two Feather razors - a stainless steel one and a plastic version, plus a couple of vintage razors - the plastic Feather is my favourite). I have not thought that there is a wire to remove.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,

I think it just consolidates the edge and maybe burnishes it slightly. Try it and see if you think it makes for a smoother shave. Feathers are scary scarp, but you can take off a layer of skin if you are not careful.

Sharpness tester?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    ...as soon as the blade's arris presses against the end grain there is likely some edge degradation.
    I don't read this forum much so sorry if this has been discussed. Has anyone tried a sharpness tester to objectively evaluate edges and sharpening techniques?

I have the PT50B show here.
    http://www.edgeonup.com/

The method used seems very repeatable when I try it with knives fresh from my sharpening machine and with a chisel I sharpened with Tormek and leather strop. I haven't tried it on a plane blade

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It is another validation of the theory that what one believes can be as important as what really takes place.
    Not true! I swear I get a finer edge when I hold penny between my toes and swing a dead chicken over my head while stropping. Seriously though, if you find something that "works" for you, then do it. We make entirely too much of the method of sharpening versus the result of a sharp edge.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Not true! I swear I get a finer edge when I hold penny between my toes and swing a dead chicken over my head while stropping. Seriously though, if you find something that "works" for you, then do it. We make entirely too much of the method of sharpening versus the result of a sharp edge.

This only works with older wheat pennies and only if the chicken is swung clockwise. Seriously- if you're going to give advice here, do it right.

It seems that I remember from some old sharpening instructions that you should run the edge across the edge of a board or the edge of your bench, of all things. The purpose as I remember was to assure the removal of the wire edge. The diamond paste is new to me however. It may well work, a bit like palm stropping I would guess. It may be the ultimate trick. Im going out to get a chicken right away, I'm guessing a live one may work even better
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    This only works with older wheat pennies and only if the chicken is swung clockwise. Seriously- if you're going to give advice here, do it right.
    Dang, I have been using old large cents thinking that was what was in circulation when this technique was first discovered.

I like my chicken, so she has been spared and the latest mouse to be trapped is usually employed in this ritual.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Working at the bench, while chopping a lot of joints and such.......have been known to swipe the chisel along the pants leg of my jeans.....a few on the bevel, a couple on the back, back to work.

Not sure IF it matters which brand of jeans works best.....

Another sharpening thread.....and razors...... Does anyone have a scanning electron microscope? I've always wanted one but they take up a lot of space and the vacuum pump is noisy.
    Removing the 'foil' with end grain is a strop for both sides at once, it may leave nano serrations, but without the electron microscope we may never know.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Working at the bench, while chopping a lot of joints and such.......have been known to swipe the chisel along the pants leg of my jeans.....a few on the bevel, a couple on the back, back to work.

Not sure IF it matters which brand of jeans works best.....
    Only really works with Levis, the older ones that were made in the USA.

No idea about the endgrain thing. But what is this dubbing thing he talks about? You hear it often in talks about stropping but I'm afraid I have no clue about how to accomplish dubbing on a nice hard strop.