Thread: Domino Question

Domino Question

Hi guys, I was using my Domino 500 the other day with the 5mm cutter. To my dismay all of a sudden I heard this grinding sound. I discovered that the bit had broken off about quarter of an inch from it's end and was floating around in the mortise hitting the remaining bit. Is this a weak point with this bit.... have this ever happened to any of you. If not, I suppose there could have been a flaw in the metal or if not... something with my technique? Maybe I was plunging too fast. It didn't seem like that was the case. I was using cherry, so the wood was not particularly hard. Thanks.

They break, keep a spare.

Bill

Were you using dust extraction with the domino? I've read the bits are more prone to breakage without a DC hooked up to it. I've used my 5mm cutter a good bit for smaller parts and never had an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by William M Johnson View Post
    They break, keep a spare.

Bill

Exactly.

Extra words

Yes I was using dust extraction.

Thanks guys I just ordered two. A little pricey for a "disposable".

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R Webster View Post
    Thanks guys I just ordered two. A little pricey for a "disposable".
    It's Festool. Comes with the territory.

CMT makes cutters for a lower price than the Festool-branded ones. I have had decent luck with them. At least, if you find yourself having to pony up for replacements, then this may be a compelling option.

You could have hit something in the wood or perhaps it was a "4:45 pm Friday" time when your cutter was made.

I haven't broken any of mine but I am on second bits for the 4 and 5 mm ones just from wearing them out.

It is always a good idea to take a quickie scan of your cutters before using them just in case you find any raised burrs that one stroke of a file could remove.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    You could have hit something in the wood or perhaps it was a "4:45 pm Friday" time when your cutter was made.

I haven't broken any of mine but I am on second bits for the 4 and 5 mm ones just from wearing them out.

It is always a good idea to take a quickie scan of your cutters before using them just in case you find any raised burrs that one stroke of a file could remove.
    Sound advice.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Sounds like an option! Thanks

Yeah I am pretty sure nothing was in the wood. I am guessing it was the "4:45 pm Friday" thing