Thread: David Barron Shooting Board

David Barron Shooting Board

Hello all,

I recently purchased a LV Shooting Plane. While preparing to make a shooting board for it, I found David Barron's version (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y90bK_03zXk&t=239s), which is different that other's I've seen posted here at smc.

The board is longer (~27") and sits along, rather than running across, the bench to allow longer long grain shooting. A notch on one corner keeps the reach manageable and cleat holds the board in my leg vise. Thought I'd try it out and find it works great. Here's my version:

IMG_1307.jpg

And I'll echo Phil's shout out to LV--the plane is a fine piece of kit! Also works splendidly without a shooting board, here trimming then end of a desktop that was elevated on a couple pieces of ply and using the bench as a reference surface.

IMG_1300.jpg

Had to sell some chisels to swing the purchase, but well worth it.

Best,
    C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Thanks for the write up and photos Christopher. I have not previously seen or heard of this version of a shooting board. Glad to hear the LV plane is working. I am currently selling off a couple of non-used items in the shop to put towards a new tool for myself and fully understand that concept.
    David