Thread: Milling Cyprus?

Milling Cyprus?

I have a job coming up making 19,000 feet of Cyprus T&G, I have never worked with the species in the shop, some on site but no milling. I did not like it.

Best practices to avoid blowout, etc, etc. You guys that have milled it fill me in please.

Thanks, Larry

Larry, no large scale experience, but I did use cypress for some Adirondack chairs a number of years ago. It was very similar to working with pine. I did find that the flat-sawn portions were a bit splintery, but the rift/quarter grain was great.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It's TWO things . The old heart stuff is brittle ,splintery, and tends to have cracks.

My experience is that it tends to have a fair amount of ringshake (growth ring separation), which can be frustrating.

Blog Entries
    When I saw the title to this thread I immediately thought Miley Cyrus. Oh well . . . . .

Hey Larry,

I've worked a lot with Cypress and find it somewhat hit or miss. Modern Cypress is usually pretty young and has the same tendencies as fast grown white pine but a bit more brittle. I would plan for more waste than normal and be sure to try using techniques like taking small bites and climb-cutting for any routing operations. Other than that, it's can be a pleasure to work.

Old growth cypress is much easier to deal with but not readily available in my experience.

I would SERIOUSLY look for a vendor in the south who could furnish finished product.

Why would i do that? Are the laws of physics different south of the Mason Dixon line?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Why would i do that? Are the laws of physics different south of the Mason Dixon line?
    The laws of physics are indeed quite different down here, but that's a whole 'nother thread.

I used a couple of different T&G cypress products in my house. Also, bought 10x10 beams for timber framing, and 4/4 planks for misc. trim - all cypress. Nothing about it made me regret the decision.

I've used the remnants for a number of small projects - from shutters to a chisel cabinet (post #18). I found no ring shake, or brittleness in any of it. It is about the same density as most pine I've worked with (but that is mostly Ponderosa, from out west - not white). It feels a little oily - which I assume is the cyprocene (sp?) that make it rot resistant - but it finishes like any wood of similar density.

Mine was sourced from Specialty Products (Now Cypress Wood & Lumber) at (www dot cypresswood dot net) in Maringouin LA. ....No relation, just satisfied customer.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 05-12-2017 at 8:30 AM.

Thanks Malcolm. I already got a quote form one of those suppliers for finished product. It is for a house I built 25 years ago and has to match. My best quote was double the material cost. I can buy select & better KD and spend a few days in the shop, so as that is why I have the machines it just makes sense. They were charging me a premium for it being an odd size? If it was 1000 foot I could understand, but with the amount I am buying not so much.

Its nice to just turn a product over to make a quick profit, but hard to do with the two quotes I got.

No harm in milling it yourself, Larry...just buy extra material in case you have some ornery pieces that require, um...rejection.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

What machinery is at your disposal? Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Sorry about the lack of clarity. It seemed clear you wanted to mill your own, so wasn't advocating purchase of the T&G - - rather that they (did) provide rough lumber.