Thread: best waterborne in hvlp

best waterborne in hvlp

Want to do a clear finish on a hard maple kitchen, so would be using waterborne for the water white color.
    What products have you folks had good results with? 4 stage turbine btw. Tia.

General Finishes Enduro Clear Poly.

+1 Enduro Clear Poly sprays beautifully, is dead clear, and very hard and durable. It's only shortcoming is it has no UV stabilizers, so the maple underneath will age over time, albeit slowly. If you want to avoid that, take a look at SW's Kem Aqua Plus; also very clear and it also has a UV package. I believe you can now buy Kem Aqua Plus by the gallon now, too, at least their website says it comes in quantities that small.

John

All of my experience is with Target Coatings EM6000 and its predecessors. I've been happy with it, but have been wanting something available more locally. I plan on trying the Kem Aqua Plus that John mentioned when opportunity allows.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I used GF high performance on my last project which was a breakfast table. Sprayed it with a Fuji Q5 and it went on extremely nice. Leveled out nicely and super smooth once dried. It has UV stabilizer in it as well. Best part was you can recoat in 2 hours.

I've never used Kem aqua clear but have sprayed about 4 gallons of their top coats so far and I love the stuff. I would assume kem aqua clear would spray just as nice.

Since you're on the West Coast, have a good look at these guys, located in San Diego.

https://ecostepscoating.com/

I've been testing some of their clears, one stain color and the grain filler. I especially like the SprayMaster clear. Dries fast and tightens up real nice. One day later it looks even better. I spray it with a pressurized 3M PPS cup under gun. Thinned 5% with water, its viscosity if about 40 seconds in a Ford #4 cup. Grain filler is unique as it is thinner than other water based fillers I've tried. Easy to tint the grain filler with their stain or TransTint dyes. Customer service is excellent. I live in Northern Calif. near Sacramento and they get an order up to me usually in one day without charging an arm&leg for shipping. Grain raise is not an issue with me–just a fact of life in the waterborne world. Couple of light passes with very fine abrasive (Abralon pad) and it's gone. Order some quarts to test on your scrap. ;-) Give em a phone call for a nice chat.

GF's HP Poly sprays beautifully and looks great, but it's not very chemically resistant. Ammonia containing cleaners literally destroy it, as will any strong solvent. I'm interested to hear how your table holds up over a couple of years of daily use.

John

Looks like the aqua ken plus is discontinued. Was going to go with general finishes catalyze till I spoke to my friend in the flooring business. We're going to try bona-x catalyzed so we can both see how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by larry senen View Post
    Looks like the aqua ken plus is discontinued. Was going to go with general finishes catalyze till I spoke to my friend in the flooring business. We're going to try bona-x catalyzed so we can both see how it turns out.

It's still listed on SW's website: http://oem.sherwin-williams.com/prod...ua-plus-clear/

John

Quote Originally Posted by larry senen View Post
    BONA X Catalyzed is a WATERBORNE? I can't find this one. Is it a water white - non yellowing finish. I know Bona makes a MEGA CLEAR HD but I haven't read it can be sprayed through a Fuji. I sure would like to hear your experience.

My only experience with spraying waterborne has been the ML Campbell Aqualente. Not as durable as I would like for kitchen cabinetry so I'm still looking though it sprays pretty easily with no great learning curve or aggravations.

I'll keep looking at this thread.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I might be using the wrong names of the product, but my friend knows other flooring guys that spray the same stuff .so we both are going to learn something. Keep you updated.

Ok thanks Larry.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    GF's HP Poly sprays beautifully and looks great, but it's not very chemically resistant. Ammonia containing cleaners literally destroy it, as will any strong solvent. I'm interested to hear how your table holds up over a couple of years of daily use.

John
    I'm more concern with it surviving my 2 year old son banging his toys on it. When doing my research, GF recommends high performance on high traffic areas such as kitchen cabinets and table tops. I assume they must have account for cleaning but I'm not experienced enough in the finishing world to say otherwise. Only time will tell. Worse case, I can just sand it down and re-apply a few coats. So far, it's held up well to everyday usage and cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post

John
    General Finishes added a Cross-linking additive to HP Poly about a year ago. It is supposed to make it more resistant to chemicals and abrasion. I don't know since I have no experience with the previous formula nor the effect of Ammonia cleaners. I used to like their Pre-Cat Urethane but they discontinued it. It was roughly concurrent with the HP Poly reformulation so maybe there was some overlap in durability? Purely conjecture on my part. The Pre-Cat also had a slight amber tint so maybe that was undesirable?
    Gary