Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Charged Sales Tax To have Lumber sanded?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Schools and local infrastructure is funded through property taxes typically. Which was actually a major factor as to where I put my new building. It's in the boondocks, but I'm not going to be paying $50k a year in property taxes.
    Varies from sate to state. Here, several school systems in counties with very low population get their funding almost entirely from business equipment and inventory tax. States with very low population density and lots of AG land (usually taxed at 50%) simply cant generate enough revenue through property tax.

And I couldnt agree more about the boondocks. Our shop is on a main road but in a rural town (pop. <1000) about 35 miles outside the nearest city. We have been somewhat courted several times to move into the city into some very attractively priced, very large, and very well equipped, commercial space. While the pricing to buy these spaces is very attractive, as you say, they dont outweigh the benefit of tax rate, B&O taxes, employees being assessed city user fees withdrawn from their weekly pay, and so on. Not to mention Division of Labor and OSHA being on top of you all the time.

Blog Entries
    We don't tolerate that nonsense in Texas

General Sam Houston would roll over in his Grave.

We do have a sales tax though.

Wink

I don't mean this to sound like a gloat.......not
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Its all so dependent on what you do, how you live, and so on. Unfortunately money to run and maintain a state has to come from somewhere. So if there is no sales tax that money is coming either from business, property tax, income tax, and so on. As Martin said, the dollars are simply going to come from somewhere.