Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recycled 2x4 project

Single Brain Cell Sketch Up has come up with a few "details" for the Pantry Project..

Next payday, I go out and buy a sheet of 3/4" plywood....and have the BORG do two cuts....3 pcs @ 48" x 33". I can then cut one or two of those into shelves, add a pine edge. maybe something like 3/4 x 30" x 14" deep. Depending on the pine edge piece.

Face frames do NOT need to be 3-1/3" wide along the door, top and bottom..maybe, but not the sides. I can resaw one of the 1 x 4 x 6' into the two sides, another to make the top and bottom pieces. I have three of the 1x4s.....maybe some webframes to tie the top and bottom of the sides together. I have those resawn pieces..the shorter ones, to help build the frames. Longer ones will help build the two doors.

All I have to do is figure out what style of doors to make.
    Good thing I have a new bandsaw blade....

Ok, got some resaws done, once a new blade was on, and the bandsaw set up.
    stiles and sides.JPG
    Resaw/rip a 1x 4 x6' into two stiles. Need to get them clamps off, someday..
    panel saw.JPG
    Crosscut another 1x4 into a pair of 30" rails...saw is the one I had rebuilt from two junker saws. Saw cuts fast and straight,too.
    half lap 1.JPG
    Joints will be half laps...usual suspects got used..
    half lap2.JPG
    Some took a bit more work...
    test fit.JPG
    Until a dry fit said it was good enough...
    One of the stiles needed a bit of smoothing..
    jack plane.JPG
    6' of board, clamped to 5' of bench....
    Might have to plane these as well..
    webframe parts.JPG
    Parts for two webframes. Resawed the last of the 1 x 4 x 6, AFTER I crosscut these to length...much easier that way...
    tools 2.JPG
    usual suspects for today's job.
    back is killing me, think I'll call it a day. Stay tuned...

Web frame parts have been jointed, using a Stanley #5-1/2 for the long parts, and a Millers Falls #11 for the short parts. Sawmarks are gone, parts are as close to being the same size as I can make them.
    Short parts needed tenons..
    tenons.JPG
    Long parts got a mortise on each end
    dry fit1.JPG
    Once I got all the corners done, a dry fit was done for each frame..
    dry fit 2.JPG
    Mortise jig also acts as a third hand. Checked for square, and marked the stiffeners for length..
    counter sink bit.JPG
    Stifeners get pilot holes and countersinks, spread some glue around all the tenons, and the undersides of the stiffeners..
    bottom frame.JPG
    Bottom frame. A 3/4" thick plywood shelf will sit on the non-stiffener side. needs to support a lot of can goods....
    top frame.JPG
    Top frame only needs one. The top of the case goes over this frame.

Waiting on the glue to dry, and maybe then I can assemble the face frame? IF I can find enough room....
    Stay tuned...

Now have the face frame in the clamps. LOTS of cussing this time.....Trying to clamp a half lapped joint that is 3/4" thick, with a clamp that is 24" long.....two per corner. I happened to find enough smaller clamps to do the two laps at the bottom...but, even that was a bit too much fun. Letting that sit overnight. Frame is 72" tall, by 30" wide....bit of fun moving THAT around in the Dungeon.....add those 24" "F" style clamps at the top....yeah.
    DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    Maybe better luck tomorrow...
    Last edited by steven c newman; 05-24-2017 at 10:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    I tend to rotate 2-3 "Stud Grade" 2x4's drying in the shop for use as needs come up. They are fairly inexpensive and don't take up much room.
    I also keep an 8' 1X12 in the garage.

Trying to hide from Mr. Gumption, today. I went out this morning, stopped at a Garage Sale and bought a $1 , 2" wide mushroomed chisel, no handle. Then drove on downtown and picked up a couple boxes of screws. Now that I'm broke, I might have to work on this pantry project today.....maybe after Lunch?

I did get some better shots of the face frame glue up...
    DSCF0004.JPG
    Testing the fit of the top webframe....one of the side panels was moved to where I could check it's fit, as well
    DSCF0005.JPG
    And the bottom. Bottom edge is 5" off the "floor". That way, I don't have to bend over so far , to get my box of Cheerios out...
    Need to find my counter bore bits, and the plug cutter. Fancy joints and hard, heavy use do not play well together. Screw and glue, cover the outside screws with matching plugs. Boss wants to paint this, anyway...meh. I'll just hand her the brush, and stomp off to the shop...

Hoping to get a sheet of plywood for the shelves this weekend. Then the build can resume...

Everything is looking good. I'm enjoying watching it all come together.

Running out of room in the Dungeon..
    DSCF0001.JPG
    Stands 6' tall, can't even get it all in one shot....
    DSCF0003.JPG
    Bottom frame is set low enough, that a 3/4" plywood shelf can fit here....
    DSCF0002.JPG
    Top frame is flush to the top of the sides, will use the frame to attach the top
    DSCF0004.JPG
    up in the "Nose bleed" section... more room for those tall boxes of cereal.....or can goods.
    Have to counter bore for screws along where the face frame meets the sides. then add matching plugs....
    Will try to get the top made......waiting on a sheet of 3/4" plywood, for the shelves and the back. More all that up to the kitchen...let the Boss paint it. I will go and make a pair of doors while she does that.

Might see IF I can get something done...later. Have the 1 x 10 marked out to cut into the two halves of the top. Need to cut them, and then do a glue up.

Just enjoying the weekend, right now.

I can't seem to stay out of the shop, even on a Holiday Weekend
    DSCF0001.JPG
    Disston D-8, 8ppi. I had already marked the cut lines the other day, decided to saw them.
    Once the 10" or so of waste was removed from between the two parts....(handsaw = Cardio Workout)
    DSCF0002.JPG
    Due to space restrictions, I had left the Mortise jig in place. i also used it to crosscut the boards to length, then ran a small Jointer plane along the mating edges...( Stanley #5-1/2, T-17)
    Then check to see how the glue joint will look..
    DSCF0004.JPG
    There isn't any glue in that joint. Close enough to spread a bit of Elmer's, and clamp up..
    DSCF0005.JPG
    Before the clamps, I had moved the two pieces back and forth a couple inches, to "moosh" the glue better. It also held them in place until I could add the clamps..

As for holding the plank still, long enough to joint an edge..
    DSCF0003.JPG
    Other end rests right on the bench.

Have to go to a cookout..back later.

+1 to what Mike wrote. Judging from the number of folks that read and follow the build, I would guess a lot of us enjoy following these types of builds.

Stew

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    +1 to what Mike wrote. Judging from the number of folks that read and follow the build, I would guess a lot of us enjoy following these types of builds.

Stew
    +1 to that.

Many ideas and techniques can be derived from seeing what others are making.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim,

Exactly so, I read various steps and look at the pictures carefully to see what I can learn. Your potting bench tread was another example where I read it quite carefully. By the way, are you already building stuff for the farmers market, and are you building another potting bench this year?

Regards,

Stew

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Jim,

Exactly so, I read various steps and look at the pictures carefully to see what I can learn. Your potting bench tread was another example where I read it quite carefully. By the way, are you already building stuff for the farmers market, and are you building another potting bench this year?

Regards,

Stew
    We are not selling at the farmers market this year due to my surgery. That set me back a bit.

Currently I am building a bookshelf with some drawers. I did post one image of some of the work in a different thread, "Any Old Draftsmen out there?":

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ut-there/page2

I haven't been taking pictures of the work in progress. It will have three drawers but most people will only notice two.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)