Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recycled 2x4 project

Recycled 2x4 project

Just what it says. I cleaned up the junk in the back yard, yesterday. Wound up with six pieces of 2x4, after cutting out the bad stuff in three longer boards..
    good stuff.JPG
    Handsome devils, aren't they?
    So, this morning I hauled these things down to the shop. I set the longer three aside, for now. I went to work on the others..
    Edges needed to be removed, too much dings, dents, and round-over. Set the resaw jig up on the bandsaw..
    DSCF0006.JPG
    And "peeled" about a 1/4" off the edge. I then got out the jointer..
    jointer plane.JPG
    And worked to joint the edge square and straight. And remove the saw marks...
    Plane is an Ohio Tool Co. No. 0-7
    I then found a straight piece of 3/4 scrap, and made two lines down the center of the edges. I needed to find the exact center, so I could resaw the boards into something a bit thinner.
    resawn.JPG
    Later, I'll go back and plane the sawn face smooth..
    saw marks.JPG
    As for the longer three boards..
    nasty 3.JPG
    Might take a while.

Not sure what I might cobble together out of these, but it beats the other "option"
    firepit.JPG
    not that I'm cheap...just Frugal.
    As for that old jointer plane making shavings..
    shavings.JPG
    Seemed to work just fine. I also rubbed the sole of the plane with an old candle, helped out.

Might stay tuned, not sure where this is going, just yet...

Seems that no matter what you do you always have fun in the basement!
    Rick

Hi Steven,

+1 on what Rick said. I know you will think of something. Your shop is looking pretty good, so it is going to be interesting what you come up with.

Stew

Nice. I'm looking for "reclaimable" lumber in my local area. Love taking old wood nobody wants and making something useful with it.
    Good luck, whatever you decide to build.
    Happy shavings.

Steven, Never know what to expect from you. A few sliced up 2x'S and a Chippendale high boy may appear.
    Jim

I stopped in at Menards today, and picked a few 1xs out. Between the resawn stuff, and what I picked today.....might be a Pantry Cupboard for the Boss.....old one is too small, according to her....

I buy good quality Southern Yellow pine construction lumber to make shop jigs, fixtures, work tables and other utilitarian things. It is always too wet and rough for my purposes. I let it dry for a few months and then mill it as if it were rough sawn lumber. For example, 2X4s end up as 1-3/8" X 3-3/8" but they are flat straight and smooth. I got started doing that when I salvaged some 5/4" PT deck planks from a replacement job and made a rolling ceramic smoker cart with them. It turned out great and you would never know what ugly salvage lumber was used to make it.

Those three 2x4s had set in the back yard for a couple years, they USED to be rafters for a Gazebo I built. Wind took it done, left the best ones sit leaning against the shed for a long time. Was either burn them, or use them. I'm cheap..er...Frugal...so rather than BUY three more, I used what I already had.

I tend to rotate 2-3 "Stud Grade" 2x4's drying in the shop for use as needs come up. They are fairly inexpensive and don't take up much room.
    David

The other lumber in the Pantry Project is now in the shop. I also went and bought a new blade for the bandsaw. Plane right now is to glue up a few panels......pairs of 1 x 8 x 6' boards to form the sides. Need to glue up a top, and some stock for shelves. have a few other 1 x 4s for face frame and door work. Need to arrange enough room in the shop to do those glue ups.....right now the boards are getting "used to" the shop. Resaws may get glued up into panels for shelves...

May have to buy a few other boards.....stash of long pine is about gone...

Cleaned off the bench...
    cleaned bench.JPG
    2xs are to keep something up a bit..
    clamped up.JPG
    So I could pass a few clamps under a panel glue up, or two..
    glue up no. 1.JPG
    had to wait until the glue set up on the first panel, before I could glue up the second one
    Panels are 3/4" x 14-1/2" by 72". Have a Pantry Cupboard to make, needed these for the sides.
    Will do for a start...

Requirements for this project:

72" tall, plus the top shelf
    31" wide counting the top shelf. May keep the overhang at 1" at the sides and front. No overhang on the back
    Fixed shelves, mainly to store can goods and cereal boxes. Dado or just screw through the sides and cover the screws with plugs. Needs to be solid, both for the weight inside, and for having to move the cupboard as needed.
    Plywood back. Can be screwed to the shelves to help keep them straight.
    Two Doors. May have an overlap lip.
    Face frame for the front.

Haven't had any wood about a drawer in the bottom.....last pantry's door was packed too full, and now can't be opened.....not sure I want that, this time around.

The Boss will most likely want this painted....I'll just hand her the brush. I merely have to have it "paint ready", is all.

Bottom edges of the side panels will get a cut-out near the floor, to make "feet". May carry that detail around to the front.

Shelves are looking like a glue up, cut to length sort of process...have to allow for a rebate down the back of the sides for the back to sit in.

Haven't got anything on paper, yet...all in me head right now.

Stay tuned.....

Used a #11 Junior Jack plane to clean up a few pine boards..
    DSCF0011.JPG
    Resawn face, and..
    Pine.JPG
    And the non-sawn face. Can't use the BIG planes..
    try plane.JPG
    Just a hair too long. I used the Junior Jack at an angle ...
    shavings.JPG
    About like this. Helped when going over all them knots.
    DSCF0012.JPG
    Didn't take all that long to do 6 boards..
    DSCF0016.JPG
    And get them all to S4S. Will be parts for the doors' panels to sit in. Rails, I think they are called....

Blog Entries
    Haven't got anything on paper, yet...all in me head right now.
    My thought is paper is made of wood pulp. So the middle men are cut out and the layout is done on the wood. Any mistakes are easy to erase with an electric eraser or a smoothing plane to allow for changes.

Sometimes paper gets used for a quick sketch to determine cutting, dimensions or fancy joints.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Or, if I need to figure out a spacing of drawers/shelves. or how a door will get built.