Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Recycled 2x4 project

Neck is a bit stiff. Hangover kind of headache is slowly going away.

The Boss has moved the Panrty to it's new home, and loaded it up..
    pantry.jpg
    Hard to get the whole thing in one picture. Floor to top of the top is 73".

Now I need to make the doors......Boss is still deciding on a colour for it....

The Boss also is trying to decide on the hinges.....might take awhile. Colour for the paint will match the rest of the cupboards. Knobs will match, as well.

Boss has picked out the hinges and the latch.....pair of 1 x 10 x 72" Pine boards are waiting to come into the shop....Thunderstorm right now is slowing that up. Need to pick which one to rip in the middle. The other one will get glued to one of the "Halves", and the one I had on hand will glue up to the second half. Resize for finished width, counting a "lip" where the two doors meet.

might get this done by the weekend? Then a few rehabs, while I decide what to do with the new wood stash..
    wood supply.jpg
    Mainly Maple, with some Poplar thrown in....1/2 a Pickup truck load.

Nice, both the pantry and the "new" wood.

Door work today, one 1 x 10 cut to length, and then ripped for width.
    Another 1 x10 cut to length..
    IMG_0567 (640x480).jpg
    Well, there goes the neighborhood, until the glue cures, added cauls to keep things flat...
    IMG_0568 (640x480).jpg
    Need to cut the third 1 x 10 to length..
    IMG_0569 (640x480).jpg
    Final width of the two doors will come from cutting the wider boards. Narrow boards will be the center. When the doors are closed, will look like just three boards.
    Waiting on the glue to cure....stay tuned...

Door #1 is out of the clamps. Needs the sawn edge jointed straight and saw-mark free. Since I rehabbed a No.8 Jointer plane, might as well USE it..
    IMG_0570 (640x480).jpg
    Leg vise & Crochet. Blank is 61" long. Finally got a shaving the length of the edge..
    IMG_0571 (640x480).jpg
    Seemed to work just fine. Heavy thing, though.

Ok, unable to wait of those NEW plough planes, I went and used a 1920s era plane..
    IMG_0576 (640x480).jpg
    Stanley No. 45, Type 20 SW. Had a little wider cutter than I needed, but I was able to set the fence enough for a test run...
    IMG_0577 (640x480).jpg
    This is where door #2 will meet up with Door #1. Goal is for the two narrow boards to look like a single board when the doors are latched shut. Wider sides will get "T" hinges, after I adjust for final width
    IMG_0579 (640x480).jpg
    Just could not wait on those new & improved plough planes.....

Well, I hear a couple Guinness Draughts calling me name.....shop is done for today..

Well....took two tries to size the door to it's new home. Squared one end, carry the thing up to the Pantry, test fit....mark a new cut line. Used a couple planes to flatten the surface on the door..
    panel planes.jpg
    Then ease the edges with a block plane. Carry the door back up to the Pantry Cupboard..door fits! Started to install the hinges....first two went on fine, no real issues..
    Came time to install the third (bottom) hinge....I can't kneel on my knees anymore, decided a stool would work to sit on......."that will leave a mark.."
    Plastic stool broke as soon as I sat down on it...I hit the corner of the Kitchen Island with my shoulder, and then found the floor.....then a few minutes to somehow stand back up. Went and got a better chair to sit on while I installed the third hinge..
    hinged.jpg
    I let the Boss clean the place up. Had to keep moving, lest things stiffen up....
    Went to the shop SLOWLY.....cleared the bench..
    cleared bench top.jpg
    Needed to trim the LAST 1 x 10 to length..
    cut line.jpg
    Then a jointer plane along the best of the edges...
    jointer.jpg
    I used both the #0-7 and the "new" No.8. Shoulder like the 0-7 better. Had to clean out the nozzle on the glue bottle BEFORE I could glue two boards up, yeah, been one of THEM days..
    clamped up.jpg
    I slid the mess as close to the til as I could, and then added clamps. I worked my way along away from the til. I adjusted for a decent glue line as I went along.
    Still needed a few cauls..
    cauls.jpg
    The one closest to the camera had a problem..
    no room.jpg
    No room for my fat body to get through there. Had to hunt up a different clamp. Some old welding "C" clamp was used. NOW I can get through there.
    More things...I thought I had bought 6 hinges....turns out I only bought 4. Grrrrrr, another trip to the BORG.
    Waiting now on the glue to cure out, a shoulder to stop hurting, and the weather to cool down a bit.

Would be nice to get this project done.....so I can start going through that double stack of Lumber I brought home. I thought I merely got some Maple and Poplar......spotted a few of Cherry in the pile.

Getting itchy to start on that pile.....need to clear the decks for action. Maybe even start a new thread......

BTW: I used that rehabbed Stanley No.8 to flatten that door suface today.....NICE! There was one spot where it skipped over....a different "No.8" took over...a Millers Falls No. 8. Didn't even need to sand the door panel. Hope Door #2 is the same.

Ok, got a little bit done, before the shoulder stiffened up.

Panel is out of the clamps. Hauled it upstairs to get the sizes marked for length and width.

Crosscut for length, bandsaw to rip to width. Need to rest up the shoulder for awhile, before I start pushing them big planes around....both edges need jointed, one needs a lip done with the Stanley 45. Got the correct hinges today...BORG seems to think they are Gold plated. They didn't even come with screws! Where the shoulder hit the corner of the Kitchen Island, on the way to the floor, there is a BIG mark...kind of sore today.

Maybe after supper, I can see about jointing an edge, or two. Need to plane the glue joint a bit, too. We'll see.....

Pushed around a few planes..
    IMG_0598 (640x480).jpg
    A No.8..
    IMG_0601 (640x480).jpg
    And the 0-7....
    IMG_0602 (640x480).jpg
    Edges jointed...
    IMG_0607 (640x480).jpg
    Millers Falls No. 8 to plane the glue lines...
    IMG_0604 (640x480).jpg
    Used the old-fashioned plough plane..
    IMG_0605 (640x480).jpg
    And eased the edges..
    IMG_0606 (640x480).jpg
    Stanley 60-1/2 Low angle block plane...after a couple trips to the Kitchen and back, checking and adjusting the fit..
    IMG_0609 (640x480).jpg
    Got the door installed. Wood working part is done,I'll let the Boss paint it to match existing....

Hinges helped..
    IMG_0610 (640x480).jpg
    So does a latch..
    IMG_0611 (640x480).jpg
    Boss can paint it to match the existing, IF she wants to...
    IMG_0614 (640x480).jpg
    I think I can call this completed.....

Good looking pantry, Steven. Are you going to leave it natural?

The Boss wants it painted to match the other cabinets....I"ll hand her a brush, and head for the shop.

Thanks for looking in.

Well, almost. Boss found a pair of "Satin Nickle Finish knobs she liked...A close match to what is on the rest of the cabinet doors. Installed the two ball-like knobs about halfway between the latch and the middle hinges.

Once she paints the Pantry...THEN I can call it completed......