Thread: For those that have lasers with casters AND feet

For those that have lasers with casters AND feet

A lot of the Chinese lasers, and I believe some of the larger US machines, have locking casters AND adjustable feet on all four corners. My question is: is there an advantage to using the feet once you have the machine permanently placed?

I guess the only thing I can think of is the advantage of being able to level the machine. Is that the idea behind the machines that have both? Casters to move into place, feet to set it permanently and level?

Maybe I'm just thinking out loud here. But I'm curious if everyone pretty much takes the time to set their machines so the casters aren't used.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Blog Entries
    Depending on your surface, the laser can move even with casters locked. As woodworker, I've got several māchines with casters and I have to be careful cause they will move. I've got concrete floor with a cheap indoor/outdoor carpet over it. It would move a bit, so I put down the feet and they help a lot. Also leveled a bit. Casters are touching, but​ feet mainly holding it in place. I know a lot of the cheaper Chinese don't have feet and a lot of guys have added them
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

In my opinion, leveling a laser serves no significant purpose, unless grossly out of level ie coolant bubbles, material movement, etc. The table and laser planarity are the critical factor for a stable cut. As for casters vs feet, the momentum of your gantry movements can cause the machine to oscillate and shake your material and mirrors. So having the feet firmly planted provides a larger more stable surface area for your tool to sit on, then the curved surface of a locked caster. My personal rule of thumb is, just taking the weight off the casters, and using a 4' bubble level. Thoughts??

Quote Originally Posted by Merritt Conner View Post
    In my opinion, leveling a laser serves no significant purpose, unless grossly out of level ie coolant bubbles, material movement, etc. The table and laser planarity are the critical factor for a stable cut. As for casters vs feet, the momentum of your gantry movements can cause the machine to oscillate and shake your material and mirrors. So having the feet firmly planted provides a larger more stable surface area for your tool to sit on, then the curved surface of a locked caster. My personal rule of thumb is, just taking the weight off the casters, and using a 4' bubble level. Thoughts??

Hadn't thought about the potential for greater vibrations. That alone might be worth the time to get the feet setup properly and leveled.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

I originally had the feet down but found that in order to use the pass through facility I had to move the machine away from the wall behind it and then back again when the job was finished - now use only locked casters and all is still fine. Just FWIW.
    Bill Carruthers, Rarotonga, Cook Islands
    Shenhui G350- 60W; + Hengchunyuan 1300x900 100W EFR , CNC router 40x60, Lightburn fan, RDCam , Coreldraw 12, Photograv 3, Scroll saw, and not enough time to play with all of them!

YES!!!!! I lock mine - of course. However numerous times I needed to either get back behind it or under it for something that rolled there. Even maintenance is easier if you can roll it out away from the wall.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

On a larger machine not using the feet can cause some twist, unless you floor is perfectly level.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Blog Entries
    I just use the castors and lock them. The castors provided were a decent quality and have not gone flat on the bottom from the weight of the laser. I also like moving my laser out from the wall for some maintenance functions. My CNC is in the middle of the floor so I have leveled it with the feet since I really done need to move it. FWIW.
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.