Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An amazing bright finished wooden yacht

Blog Entries

An amazing bright finished wooden yacht

This showed up at Crown Bay Marina today. She is a modern Yacht built of (or at least skinned in) wood and bright finished. The craftsmanship is amazing. Imagine the upkeep!

https://youtu.be/XX4X-wCK62Y

Awesome.

I want one, but only if someone else will pay for the maintenance!

Blog Entries
    I cannot imagine, but if you can afford this, likely you can afford to hire help for that. Unlike a lot of yachts I have seen, this one at least looked functional and designed to actually sail in bluewater. Oh the things I have seen- like a 150' sailboat that had lead shot for ballast instead of poured lead. When the captain hit a reef in the BVI, all the ballast poured out.

I'd sure like to talk to the owner and find out what finishing products & techniques he's using.
    thanks,
    Mac

It was supposedly built by Sangermani in 1983, previously named Brisas. Hull is supposed to be mahogany. Courtesy of Google re Masa Yume.

Value? I presume north of 3 million US, but - as we all know - if we have to ask, we can't afford it anyway . . . . . .

Blog Entries
    It looked to me like it had been sprayed with a clear coat. (As opposed to a varnish, which would have had a yellow hue- this was clear as a bell.) AwlGrip makes a clear coat, and that's probably what I would do or an automotive two-part clear. The hull was slicked out like a mirror. Real fine work.

How often you think she gets a respray?

Blog Entries
    Probably quite frequently. What surprised me was that this boat is over 30 years old and still looks this good.

I'm in! Sailing and gorgeous wood? Paradise! Thanks, Malcolm!
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

That's lovely, but I would vastly prefer the hull to be white.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    That's lovely, but I would vastly prefer the hull to be white.
    I am more of a black or navy blue guy when it comes to painted hulls, but with mahogany, cedar, and fir (not a complete list) I love the look of a bright finished hull. For a boat this big, however, I wouldn't want to deal with a bright finished hull, especially for cruising.

And when you're done with the finish on that boat, you can start on this one

Lot of work but she sure looks pretty...
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

13. Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post

But when you're having fun, it's all good. (Doesn't look like Punta Gorda, tho. How you gonna finish that J if you keep running around?)
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post

I would love every minute of that hard work!!!! Which island was this?

Beautiful boat! My neighbor made a small runabout with mahogany sides,clear varnished. It got looks of wonderment,but nothing compared to this 40' beauty!!!! If I won the lottery,maybe..........