Thread: Alder wood plaques

Alder wood plaques

I am going to make some memorial plaques for family members. I bought some from JDS. I will have a picture a poem and cross. My question is should I mask the board? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Voccell DLS 50 watt (G Weike Storm 600 rebrand basically)
    CW-5000 Chiller
    Shapeoko 3 XL CNC

Blog Entries
    Engraved? Probably not, cut off the air if you are engraving at least that is my suggestion. If you were colorfilling, I'd say mask. Otherwise no. No matter what others might say, I cut off the air on my Chinese machine almost always if I'm engraving. Too much crap resettles with the air. Vector cutting it s on.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes I will be engraving. Probably should have thought about colorfill but forgot about that.
    Voccell DLS 50 watt (G Weike Storm 600 rebrand basically)
    CW-5000 Chiller
    Shapeoko 3 XL CNC

Part of it will be personal preference, another part experience, another part is how easily it cleans up. If there is a picture/photo, I would not mask that area. If there is a simple graphic and/or text, I may mask it because it's fairly easy clean-up especially with the plastic razor blades that have been talked about on this forum. Color fill also depends upon what you plan to use for color fill. Most of the time I will mask with paint color fill. Depending upon the quality of the finish, I can use powder coat without masking it first. There are times I will mask the whole item first, do what I need to do with the masking, then peel it off and finish with the photo engraving.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa View Post
    Part of it will be personal preference, another part experience, another part is how easily it cleans up. If there is a picture/photo, I would not mask that area. If there is a simple graphic and/or text, I may mask it because it's fairly easy clean-up especially with the plastic razor blades that have been talked about on this forum. Color fill also depends upon what you plan to use for color fill. Most of the time I will mask with paint color fill. Depending upon the quality of the finish, I can use powder coat without masking it first. There are times I will mask the whole item first, do what I need to do with the masking, then peel it off and finish with the photo engraving.
    Yes, good advice. For just text, you will get beautiful clean results if you mask with transfer tape, and vector cut just through the paper. Then weed out the paper, go back to your software and fill the letters again with back and engrave, without moving the board of course. Is do this mostly with pre-finished wood with letters to be paint filled.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green