Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Investigative advice needed

Blog Entries
    Communication is the key to a healthy relationship. While I agree not to sweat the small stuff, I would communicate to my wife that if she used one of my LN chisels to do the job of a free HF screw driver there would be consequences.

Then again that is not a conversation we have ever needed to have,she is a pretty smart Lady and is educated enough on the subject of tools so know the right tool for the job... she says she learns through osmosis by ignoring me talk through projects.
    The running joke is she can rebuild a carburetor despite never having touched one.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Gibson View Post
    Communication is the key to a healthy relationship. While I agree not to sweat the small stuff, I would communicate to my wife that if she used one of my LN chisels to do the job of a free HF screw driver there would be consequences.

Then again that is not a conversation we have ever needed to have,she is a pretty smart Lady and is educated enough on the subject of tools so know the right tool for the job... she says she learns through osmosis by ignoring me talk through projects.
    The running joke is she can rebuild a carburetor despite never having touched one.
    Curious what exactly the consequences might be?

Don't sweat it. You can always get another one.

(I'll leave it up to you to decide if it's the chisel or the girlfriend. )

Just kidding,

Michael

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Curious what exactly the consequences might be?
    more then likely multiple practical jokes. Something like every dish in the kitchen on the top shelf, shoes in the freezer, you get the idea. harmless stuff mostly.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Blog Entries
    I am not annoyed by Candy (my wife) using my tools.

What annoys me is she neglects to put them away and leaves them someplace that she doesn't even remember. She now has her own tool box, but will at times ask to use any tool that ins't in her toolbox.

She knows not to use a chisel improperly or to pry with a knife.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Mr. Jordan is in the same camp with me.
    She has her stuff, and asks for additional help.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Sue is good with tools and is welcome to use mine any time she wants. Years ago she has replaced a washing machine pump to save money, and can do almost anything else within the reach of someone 5'2". She can read mechanical drawings, operate a Bridgeport, and knows how to use inspection tools. 40+ years around machine shops has made her very aware of tools. If I'm working in the shop an she hears a machine running she waits until it stops before entering. I think I'll keep her.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Sorry to not join in with all of the "you go girl..." posts but it should be pointed out that prying with a cutting tool will most likely lead to a dramatic fracture of the tool and a possible injury. So no congratulations but rather a lesson and best practices moving forward. I don't use my wife's clothes iron to lay down veneer and wouldn't expect her to congratulate me if she found me doing so.

Todd, Todd, Todd......

you gave a PINK tool bag to a woman who "fixed the sink, and in the past she has installed underwater lights, repaired an antenna on the roof, driven pilings for a pier and some other surprising feats."

Dude, you're lucky you still have all your appendages.

Early on,my wife did break the tips off of a few carbide tipped scribes,while working on her jewelry which she sold (and still does). I could not expect her to notice the slight color difference between carbide and steel though. I was able to repoint the scribes with a diamond grinding wheel,though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Todd, Todd, Todd......

you gave a PINK tool bag to a woman who "fixed the sink, and in the past she has installed underwater lights, repaired an antenna on the roof, driven pilings for a pier and some other surprising feats."

Dude, you're lucky you still have all your appendages.
    I think he is lucky he has them all when he gave her a tool bag for her birthday!
    " (not that I'm judging...I'm all for excessive honing) " quote from Chris Griggs

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Bowman View Post
    I think he is lucky he has them all when he gave her a tool bag for her birthday!
    If I did that I would have expected to get a nice makeup case for my birthday.

JKJ

All I can say is you members of the Little Rascal's "He Man's Club" are hooting and pounding your chests with the usual outcome. When the boss says or does something such as use your tools and leave them on the bench you can hoot and pound all you wish in the safe confines of our He Man's Club but when the rubber hits the road the only answer if you have half a brain is "Yes dear, I hope the chisel did what you wanted it to do. Just leave on the bench and I will put it up."

Buying a new chisel is cheaper in money and benifits than any other outcome. BTDT

ken

Blog Entries
    For some reason this is bringing back memories of my son when he was about three years old. He was looking out the back screen door and watching our dog. The dog would run to the door and be playful. Zephram, my son, would hand him something and the dog would run around and play with it for a while or until Zephram offered another item. The problem was he was getting items out of my toolbox. Fortunately Candy heard him excitedly laughing it up and went to see what was going on. I am pretty sure I found all the tools, mostly screwdrivers.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'm thinking next birthday it will be a Gucci handbag with a set of bench chisels inside. Maybe something interesting will happen.