Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Investigative advice needed

Investigative advice needed

So, my girlfriend said she needed to pry open a sink drain plug this morning and used one of my "long, thin tools that was sharp, like a razor." But she wouldn't tell me which tool, and she said I would never know.
    I am hoping it wasn't one of the new Veritas chisels, but that is the only long, thin and sharp tool I can think of. I have not been home to check on the situation.
    Is there a standard protocol to follow here?

Don't sweat the small stuff. Be proud she will try to solve a problem.

You are correct. I think maybe the solution is to move the screwdrivers to a more prominent location.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Nair View Post
    Don't sweat the small stuff. Be proud she will try to solve a problem.
    This is wisdom.

No good will come from any attempt to explain, reason, prevent future such occurrences, etc.
    The solution lies in making your prized tools unavailable, while making other options handy for just such uses/misuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Zucker View Post
    ...Is there a standard protocol to follow here?
    Ask yourself, "What have I got to win? What have I got to lose?" Then decide what to ask the lovely lady.

It is incumbent upon every woodworker to provide their SO with a toolbox of basic tools so they will leave yours alone in situations like this.

So what did she use to pry the drain open?

She provided a perfect description of a chisel, but when I got home she pointed to an Irwin folding utility knife. I think she was messing with me.

I think she was messing with me.
    They have been known to do that.

A wise approach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Ask yourself, "What have I got to win? What have I got to lose?" Then decide what to ask the lovely lady.

So, my girlfriend said she needed to pry open a sink drain plug this morning and used one of my "long, thin tools that was sharp, like a razor." But she wouldn't tell me which tool, and she said I would never know.
    I am hoping it wasn't one of the new Veritas chisels, but that is the only long, thin and sharp tool I can think of. I have not been home to check on the situation.
    Start using her GHD Flat Iron to quick-grill some bacon, alternative use her hair-dryer to do some paint-stripping.

If she starts to freak-out, just say, in a calm and confident voice: "Honey, you would never know!"...

Suggestion for the future...

So, my girlfriend said she needed to pry open a sink drain plug this morning...
    Years ago I did something which has avoided many issues: I made up a plastic tool box for my Lovely Bride. It has things like a hammer, screw drivers, adjustable wrench, small vise grips, utility knife, needle-nosed pliers, wire cutter, awl, tweezers, small scissors, measuring tape, scraper, sand paper, etc., A top tray has small things like picture-hanging things, a bit of soft wire, spare nails and screws, etc. This tool box is always handy in the laundry room. (I use it too!)

A simple tool box like this is also good when sending a son or daughter into the world.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    My first thought was "Find a new Girlfriend"....

She provided a perfect description of a chisel, but when I got home she pointed to an Irwin folding utility knife. I think she was messing with me.
    But then I saw this, I think she's a keeper.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

fortunately my wife is a trained in Williamsburg craftsman,plus the30+ years she has been with me.So,not much foolishness.

She does have her own tool box full of household tools,but she has taken to letting it languish in the basement. A very expensive tool box,too. She seems to think that my own shop is her great big tool box! Very glad that she doesn't use them improperly.

The only thing she does wrong is pile tools she has used near my anvil. But,that is a LOT better than putting them in a drawer somewhere so I'll NEVER find them!! At least I can gather them up and put them back myself. It is a little bit of a mystery why she can find screwdrivers,hammers,etc.,in my LABELED drawers. But,having taken them out,she seems to always forget where she got them from! So,to the anvil they go.
    Last edited by george wilson; 05-12-2017 at 9:10 AM.

I did, in fact, buy her a pink Husky-brand tool bag a few years ago that I stocked with everything I thought she might use. The problem was that I gave it to her as a birthday present, and she kinda teased me that I had gone shopping for myself and tried to pass it off as a real present. I have no idea where that tool bag went.
    She is a keeper, though. She did manage to fix the sink, and in the past she has installed underwater lights, repaired an antenna on the roof, driven pilings for a pier and some other surprising feats.