Thread: rocking chairs

rocking chairs

this is a rocking chair that was built from curly broadleaf maple. this was the 2nd almost identical chair out of the same tree. I had submitted slides of the first to the AAW first exhibition "Turned For Use" and it had been sold and I had asked it I could submit another chair and of course they said no, I still had wood left so I just made another CM chair and everything was fine

i have built 6 of this style of chair and have 2 in production 1 of English elm and another of arbutus of which you call madrone.
    I also weave my own seats
    ron

another rocker built from white birch

ron

Blog Entries
    Nice work!

Beautiful work!!

rear leg detail

ron

So....I'm getting the sense that you are really good at this woodworking/turning thing.

What's that like?

LoL, those are beautiful rockers. The curly stuff is very nice but I like the black one most.
    USMC '97-'01

thank you. I don't really know
    the Provincial craft council put on an exhibition titled "10,000 Hours" in reference to section of a book called "Outliers" by a man called Malcom Gladwell. in it he reiterates if one practices for 10,000 hours they should be a master. My thinking is if obe puts in 10,000 hrs he has served an apprenticeship. 10,000 hrs. + 5 working years. I also feel that a master should be a pretty talented person and pretty well cover the full spectrum of a trade. there are a quite a few these days who are called masters but they only cover 2 or 3 forms and that is it. they may do those 2 or 3 forms well but I do not believe that it makes them masters. there are also tons of them calling themselves artists. just inflating themselves. Back to the point of 10,000 hours ,I have figured that I have in about 90,000 hours into what I do and am still capable of learning.
    to me this is my job that I have done everyday for the last 42 years. I should be able to do my work respectfully after serving this much time at it . I nleft home when I was 14 and have been working ever since. mainly what I am is a repairman as I have mainly fixed things all my life. I am 72 and still work at it very day. I worked atomotive until I was 30 and woodworking for myself since them. I grew up arond a boar building shop . one gets to caver a bit of ground in those years
    ron