Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lathes, New, used,

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lathes, New, used,

I was fine until the possibility of a used 3520B came into my life. The guy is about 5 hours from me so I have only seen pictures. Thinks it is a 2009, he said it was used regulary the first two years, but then only occasionally after that. It looks in new like condition. He hasn't come up with a asking price yet.
    What would you think a fair price be?

i can get a new Laguna for about $2400. I guessing the 3520B would be in that range. The Grizzly G0766 is less dollars, but I am concerned about the height from floor to center being almost 48". I think it is too tall for me and don't think I want a platform. Would you choose a new Laguna over a nice used 3520B?

What I have now is a PM 90. The good; I have raised it to 18" swing, I have 5 Robust tool rest, two banjos, also the offset banjo that allows me to take full advantage of the 18" swing, nice add on indexing. The bad; single phase 1 hp motor, minimum speed is 350rpm, maximum speed is 2100, 1 1/2" spindle thread, wrench needed to lock down tailstock, no reverse, headstock fixed, it's old. Not a bad lathe and for $400 I could upgrade to a 2hp VFD, but to me the hp is over rated as I believe you only need it for coring and heavy roughing. I'm thinking I could get $1400 for it. Just keep it and resist the urges above?

I know only myself can finally decide, but would appreciate your input on the possibilities.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Hello, I purchased a 3520B lathe in 2009 and it was $2400. I use it almost every day and it has been a great lathe.
    On a used deal often there are accessories included as chucks tool rests,faceplates etc add up quickly. I think you will have to decide quickly for they go fast. New comes with a warranty. Good luck, Kevin

John C Campbell Folk School has PMs in the studio, so in my teaching there I am in constant contact with them. They are good machines, and I can afford a new one. However, for a variety of reasons, I chose the Laguna Revo 1836 and love it. I would not trade it even up for a new PM, much less a used one.

Left click my name for homepage link.

There is currently a used 3520B for sale in Eugene Oregon, the seller's asking price is $4000. Seems odd to sell a used lathe for exactly what it costs new however he does have a lot of accessories with it. I suppose one would have to weigh the value of the accessories that come with a used lathe against the value of the five year warranty that comes with a new lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by David Smith View Post
    There is currently a used 3520B for sale in Eugene Oregon, the seller's asking price is $4000. Seems odd to sell a used lathe for exactly what it costs new however he does have a lot of accessories with it. I suppose one would have to weigh the value of the accessories that come with a used lathe against the value of the five year warranty that comes with a new lathe.
    If it's the one listed on CL, it's a 3520A and I think it will be there for awhile at that price.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

About a year ago I paid $3000 for a used PM3520b but it came with the bed extension and a few extras, all in good shape. Drove about 10 hrs one way to pick it up. I'm very happy with it.

JKJ

I recently got a used 3520 b .... and it is the best money I ever spent. If it were me, I would go with the proven thing ... but I do this on very limited funds and can't afford a mistake.

Is there anything you really want to do that you cannot do on your current lathe? Tool purchases are driven by 2 words, "need" or "want". If you "need" it go for it, but if it is only a "want" without a "need", you are wasting money. We can easily rationalize the reason to buy something by convincing ourselves that we "need" it, when on reality a lot of times we "want" it.

I use a 1972 Rockwell Delta 46-111, more lathe than I need, I could easily do everything I need to on a mini lathe from Harbor Freight. But I got mine before Harbor Freight was started. Over the last 45 years it has paid for itself a few hundred times. But everytime I go to a place like Woodcraft I "want" a new lathe, even though I know I do not "need" it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Hasenak View Post
    ...Tool purchases are driven by 2 words, "need" or "want". If you "need" it go for it, but if it is only a "want" without a "need", you are wasting money.
    I think there is another aspect! If all our tool purchases were driven by "need" many of us wouldn't have a lathe at all. I think for most of us enrichment and quality of life can also drive "want" over "need". Once the more basic "needs" are met, of course.

JKJ

Thanks for the responses. I've pretty much decided I will buy a new lathe. The want vs. need (to me) want always wins out. However you sometimes feel the need to have something better. My PM 90 is a great lathe and I've done a lot to make it better, but I've also had to make concessions because of the unique features of the lathe. It's just time for me. I don't think you can go wrong with either the Laguna or PM. However I must say John Keeton's endorsement of the Laguna is powerful and I must admit I like the Laguna features. The Laguna 10% off sale ends Monday, so I need to make a decision Monday to take advantage. I will need to decide where to buy as not all vendors list the extension or the 10% sale and I think I need the extension. Then I will need to order some more Robust tool rest. So I've got between now and Monday to make sure this is what I "need".
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

What was the price of the 3520?
    Don

Just for a comparison, I recently purchased a lightly used Vicmarc VL 300 in response to an ad in my local woodturners club newsletter. It included the Lathe, 3hp 220v 2009 year, a Vicmarc chuck, the swing away tailstock, live centers, and the outboard turning attachment. $2500, had to pick it up and move it. Very happy with my purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    What was the price of the 3520?

Never did get price. I got the feeling he didn't really want to sell. There is one on eBay at $1700 with 4 days left. The person said it was a 2008 and was used for instructions. Selling due to downsize. I also found one for $2600 that is "like new". I did not come across any used Laguna.

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    Never did get price. I got the feeling he didn't really want to sell. There is one on eBay at $1700 with 4 days left. The person said it was a 2008 and was used for instructions. Selling due to downsize. I also found one for $2600 that is "like new". I did not come across any used Laguna.
    2 things about the 3520B listed on bay. If you look at one of the pics, you can see another PM sitting off at the end of the one for sale, (I need that problem!) and I'd say you'll see a flurry of bidding at the end. I'll guess it will go for $2,850.00 We should start a contest to see who comes closest. I'll spring for the prize of an "Ovechkin" here in Pittsburgh. For those not familiar with what an "Ovechkin" is, it's a White Russian without a Cup!!! adult beverage. Ingredients are just poured out on the bar and you have to slurp it up from there. Real popular right now in the Burgh.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    2 things about the 3520B listed on bay. If you look at one of the pics, you can see another PM sitting off at the end of the one for sale, (I need that problem!) and I'd say you'll see a flurry of bidding at the end. I'll guess it will go for $2,850.00 We should start a contest to see who comes closest. I'll spring for the prize of an "Ovechkin" here in Pittsburgh. For those not familiar with what an "Ovechkin" is, it's a White Russian without a Cup!!! adult beverage. Ingredients are just poured out on the bar and you have to slurp it up from there. Real popular right now in the Burgh.
    i noticed the second lathe also and asked. Said they were keeping that one. I was thinking more in the $2300 range.