Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lathes, New, used,

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    2 things about the 3520B listed on bay. If you look at one of the pics, you can see another PM sitting off at the end of the one for sale, (I need that problem!) and I'd say you'll see a flurry of bidding at the end. I'll guess it will go for $2,850.00 We should start a contest to see who comes closest. I'll spring for the prize of an "Ovechkin" here in Pittsburgh. For those not familiar with what an "Ovechkin" is, it's a White Russian without a Cup!!! adult beverage. Ingredients are just poured out on the bar and you have to slurp it up from there. Real popular right now in the Burgh.
    Anybody licking a drink off a filthy bar top must really be in sad shape!!

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    2 things about the 3520B listed on bay. If you look at one of the pics, you can see another PM sitting off at the end of the one for sale, (I need that problem!) and I'd say you'll see a flurry of bidding at the end. I'll guess it will go for $2,850.00 We should start a contest to see who comes closest. I'll spring for the prize of an "Ovechkin" here in Pittsburgh. For those not familiar with what an "Ovechkin" is, it's a White Russian without a Cup!!! adult beverage. Ingredients are just poured out on the bar and you have to slurp it up from there. Real popular right now in the Burgh.
    Well I guess I won, the eBay lathe sold for $2325 (my guess was $2300). However it is just too far to go for a drink that doesn't include a cup. Go have one tonight on me!
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

one just has to ask what the new lathe can do for you which the one you have now cannot do. a few more $ on the one you have may give you all that you need
    I use a 260 general that I bought in 82 and it will give me pretty well anything those other lathes will. mind you I did have my frustrations with it years ago and made changes.
    about 89 I went to a machine shop and had a new headstock made. 2 3/16" shaft, double row tapered brgs- fully adj. both ends and a 1 3/4" x 8tpi. f/plates, wrenches and adaptors down to 1 1/4 and 1". the swing was set at 20" and I can raise it to a 26 or 32" swing and I can go out to 17' with it. I have swung up to 52" outboard on it. that h/stock and stuff cost me $3,000.00 then. at that time I also put on a 2 hp shunt motor with a frequency dr. which I changed out to a 3hp and invertor 1o years later. I have also always had a delta around and have adaptors to use all my other f/plates and chucks on it. about 15 years ago one of my customers told me he had an old lathe sitting in storage and he phoned me up one day to come and have a look at it. it was a Delta/Milawaukee which was bought new in 47 in New York and I doubt it had 5 hours on it. got everything tools, chucks( 3 and 4 jaw), f/plates, steady rest, a good box of carving chisels, a brand new set of marples firmer chisels and a 1/2 dozen good sized walnut planks all for $200.00. put my 2hp shunt motor and controller on it and happy as a pig in p__p. I don't need any thing else. the locking handle on the general t/stock still bugs me and perhaps one day before I fade, I may fix it
    ron

Quote Originally Posted by ron david View Post
    one just has to ask what the new lathe can do for you which the one you have now cannot do. a few more $ on the one you have may give you all that you need
    I use a 260 general that I bought in 82 and it will give me pretty well anything those other lathes will. mind you I did have my frustrations with it years ago and made changes.
    about 89 I went to a machine shop and had a new headstock made. 2 3/16" shaft, double row tapered brgs- fully adj. both ends and a 1 3/4" x 8tpi. f/plates, wrenches and adaptors down to 1 1/4 and 1". the swing was set at 20" and I can raise it to a 26 or 32" swing and I can go out to 17' with it. I have swung up to 52" outboard on it. that h/stock and stuff cost me $3,000.00 then. at that time I also put on a 2 hp shunt motor with a frequency dr. which I changed out to a 3hp and invertor 1o years later. I have also always had a delta around and have adaptors to use all my other f/plates and chucks on it. about 15 years ago one of my customers told me he had an old lathe sitting in storage and he phoned me up one day to come and have a look at it. it was a Delta/Milawaukee which was bought new in 47 in New York and I doubt it had 5 hours on it. got everything tools, chucks( 3 and 4 jaw), f/plates, steady rest, a good box of carving chisels, a brand new set of marples firmer chisels and a 1/2 dozen good sized walnut planks all for $200.00. put my 2hp shunt motor and controller on it and happy as a pig in p__p. I don't need any thing else. the locking handle on the general t/stock still bugs me and perhaps one day before I fade, I may fix it
    ron
    Ron, everything you say is true. Yes I could get by with my current lathe. It is raised to a 18" swing, I have 5 Robust tool rest and it is definitely solid. It will still be around long after most of the new lathes today. The PM 90's are bullet proof. My initial purchase price was $180 at a school auction. I put a 1hp single phase motor on it as VFD weren't available at a reasonable cost and really didn't know anything about them. The lathe low speed is 350rpm, so out of balance and sanding are not ideal, but still doable. I could put a bigger motor and VFD for around $400. The top speed is 2100rpm. Great for bowls and larger stock, but not ideal for finials and small stuff. I can't change that. I go to my mini's for that work. Again doable. This is a reeve drive variable speed so there is a touch of vibration, however it will still balance a nickel on edge. Easily liveable. To lock down the tailstock it is a bolt to tighten. A pain, but liveable. I built a vacuum chuck system that is , well let's just say it works but not ideal. The spindle shaft has a keyway cut through and I need to use a rod inside. There is no index system, so I bought a index plate that works, but setup is necessary. Parts if needed can be pricy and scarce, but that can also occur with a new lathes after time. My interest are 16" diameter and less. Even minatures. Of course I want to turn the big one, but not a passion. I've worked hard all my life and saved. I easily spend the cost of a new lathe on a week's vacation. I still want to be frugal with my money, so I guess the bottom line is I gave up a week vacation fishing in Florida to buy the lathe. And I think I have made improvements over my current lathe to make my hobby more enjoyable.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Good call ron. Even with paypal and fleebay fees, never thought under 2,500. Guess the new grizzly and laguna machines are having an effect on used PM prices. I did have "some" interest in the machine but didn't have a chance in the final bidding because i was having C6-7 surgery at the closing bell, so my neck isn't ready to move something like that right now. Either that or my neck hurting from watching Ottawa blitzkrieg my Pens last night. Had to take another pain pill over that fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    [snip]

i can get a new Laguna for about $2400. I guessing the 3520B would be in that range. The Grizzly G0766 is less dollars, but I am concerned about the height from floor to center being almost 48". I think it is too tall for me and don't think I want a platform. Would you choose a new Laguna over a nice used 3520B?

[snip]
    William, FWIW, Grizzly has lowered the floor-to-spindle height on all G0766 lathes manufactured since (I think) July 2015 by reducing the height of the legs. The spindle height now is 46-1/4".

The specification page in the online manual on Grizzly's website site shows this, but out of curiosity I just reconfirmed it a few minutes ago with a call to Grizzly Tech Support in Springfield.

David
    Last edited by David C. Roseman; 05-18-2017 at 9:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    William, FWIW, Grizzly has lowered the floor-to-spindle height on all G0766 lathes manufactured since (I think) July 2015 by reducing the height of the legs. The spindle height now is 46-1/4".

The specification page in the online manual on Grizzly's website site shows this, but out of curiosity I just reconfirmed it a few minutes ago with a call to Grizzly Tech Support in Springfield.

David
    David, I have ordered the Laguna 18-36. Even at 46-1/4 the G0766 would still be too high for me. My elbow to the floor is 42". The PM 3520B is 44". Still a bit high. The Laguna is just about right on at 41-1/2. But the bottom line is I really didn't want a lathe that big. I don't turn anything over 16", but with the bed extension I will have that capability if needed. The Grizzly or PM just didn't fit my needs.

If we're going to talk endorsements, Rude Osolnik had some input on the design of the Powermatic 3520. Hard to beat that.

--Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    David, I have ordered the Laguna 18-36. Even at 46-1/4 the G0766 would still be too high for me. My elbow to the floor is 42". The PM 3520B is 44". Still a bit high. The Laguna is just about right on at 41-1/2. But the bottom line is I really didn't want a lathe that big. I don't turn anything over 16", but with the bed extension I will have that capability if needed. The Grizzly or PM just didn't fit my needs.
    Congratulations, Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Crimmins View Post
    If we're going to talk endorsements, Rude Osolnik had some input on the design of the Powermatic 3520. Hard to beat that.

--Geoff
    Very true, and it certainly is a nice lathe. But......that was 20 years or so ago and design considerations have evolved. The Laguna Revo 1836 has many features that are an improvement on the PM 3520b IMO. Not saying the PM is still not an excellent lathe, but the Laguna is stiff competition given the price difference.

Left click my name for homepage link.

William, you had commented: "The Grizzly G0766 is less dollars, but I am concerned about the height from floor to center being almost 48". I think it is too tall for me and don't think I want a platform. "

When the Griz G0766 first came out in the summer of 2015, I believe that it used the legs from the G0733 and was almost 48" from floor to center. Then around Dec 2015 they changed the legs - - dropping almost 2". The spec sheet on the Griz page is incorrect and reflects the original height.

But if you go to the on-line Manual, you'll see the revised height (floor to center): 46-1/4"

Operation Information
    Swing Over Bed............................................... .................................................. ........................................ 22 in.
    Distance Between Centers........................................... .................................................. ........................... 42 in.
    Swing Over Tool Rest.............................................. .................................................. ................................ 16 in.
    Swing Over Tool Rest Base.............................................. .................................................. ....................... 18 in.
    No of Spindle Speeds............................................ .................................................. .............................. Variable
    Spindle Speed Range............................................. .................................................. ............... 100 – 3200 RPM
    Floor to Center Height............................................ .................................................. ........................... 46-1/4 in.