Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forum is s l o w

Forum is s l o w

I am on a lot of Forums this one is so slow, when I am typing I need to do so in slow motion or it misses what I am typing??? Never happens elsewhere. Almost like its key strokes being logged by .....
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I am on a lot of Forums this one is so slow, when I am typing I need to do so in slow motion or it misses what I am typing??? Never happens elsewhere. Almost like its key strokes being logged by .....
    Fairly snappy here. Did you try an trace route to see if there was a bottleneck somewhere between you and the SMC server? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ems-in-windows

Also, look at the windows Task Manager to see if memory or CPU is choked. If you have a lot of programs running try closing things down and rebooting.

Check for a virus.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Fairly snappy here. Did you try an trace route to see if there was a bottleneck somewhere between you and the SMC server? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ems-in-windows

Also, look at the windows Task Manager to see if memory or CPU is choked. If you have a lot of programs running try closing things down and rebooting.

Check for a virus.

JKJ
    Did the Task manager thing and I am an old time computer guy, not a virus running Nortons and this Is the Only place I have issues???
    Last edited by Bill George; 05-12-2017 at 6:48 PM.

Did the Task manager thing and I am an old time computer guy, not a virus running Nortons and this Is the Only place I have issues???
    Then it could be a logical connection between you and this. Tracert may tell you. If there is some link slow you may see timeouts in the chain.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    I hit my satellite internet bandwidth limit last week. Full 8 days before month rolled over. Second time in a few months, keep having my desktop get hung up downloading an uodate and wasting a couple of gb here and a few there. It is normally slow, but when they restrict the bandwidth you can almost only do email. On one computer at a time....slower than dsl, slow as dialup! Dang! I'm waiting on the power company to start installing their new service in our area in the spring
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

John I had forgotten about tracert been a long time since I had to remember some DOS. Yes extreme delay, and I wish I could remember how to do a screen shot to capture a DOS screen. I logged in this time from a Bing search and its faster. Without logging in I get a different trace route path. I will try again just to see after I have logged in this way.....

Ok here is the tracert the ae-2-2. bear2. and on.... is not there when I am not logged in. Correction its there either way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill George; 05-13-2017 at 10:10 AM.

"Remember me" check in stopped working several days ago ,so I have to keep signing in

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    "Remember me" check in stopped working several days ago ,so I have to keep signing in
    Odd. It works for me.

OP: I use this and other sites. FWIW, I'm not experiencing the problem you are with speed. I hope you work it out.
    Fred

Connection speed shouldn't make a difference when typing into a typical form field because the page is already loaded locally. It's most likely AJAX running in the background that's spell checking as you type. I'd look for a way to dissable it under settings.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

I will log in tomorrow using my Verizon phone as a hotspot and try the tracert again. Funny if is was a Virus why would just Sawmill Creek? I think its a tracking cookie sending info from this site only? I am on my Ipad now, no issues.

Doug is AJAX a site thing or MS?

John I had forgotten about tracert been a long time since I had to remember some DOS. Yes extreme delay, and I wish I could remember how to do a screen shot to capture a DOS screen. I logged in this time from a Bing search and its faster. Without logging in I get a different trace route path. I will try again just to see after I have logged in this way.....

Ok here is the tracert the ae-2-2. bear2. and on.... is not there when I am not logged in.
    Yours shows about double the time of mine but it doesn't seem to be enough to result in the slowdown you mention. I see no slowdown at all. However, it has been about 30 years since I did or interpreted a route trace and I don't remember the causes or significance of repeating timeouts. (Actually, I don't remember much of anything!) Firewalls? Might be some other issue. Do you have another computer you can try, maybe someone nearby who goes through the same provider?

tracert_SMC.jpg

(BTW, tracert will look up a URL like www.sawmillcreek.org so you don't have to enter an IP address)

JKJ

Blog Entries
    My phone does the same thing from time to time.
    One thing I've noticed is Exchange Services keeps ramping up using a lot of battery, so I force it to stop. I also do a restart and the problem temporarily goes away.
    Last edited by Bill Jobe; 05-12-2017 at 11:18 PM.

Ajax is a site thing. I just checked and the only Ajax that happens when typing in the reply field is a save every minute. If it was happening every character, you would most likely "feel" it.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

SMC is ****ed due to a recent vBulletin "upgrade": there's a thread about it under 'Forum Support'.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.