Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Looking to lower the initial cost of my first garage wood shop.

Here's my take. You were given sound advice about tools and I will not repeat what was said.

You posted you would like to earn a extra US$500 a month selling craft items. Sounds like a worthwhile goal, but go into this venture with both eyes wide open by seriously considering if it is a realistic goal?

I know several who were going to supplement their regular income, Social Security, etc., by "doing the craft shows" only to find out: there was really was no market for what they wanted to sell; the competition was too well establish and stiff; the profit margin was too small or nonexistent considering material costs, time involved, travel expenses, etc.; and/or they could not compete against the Asian imports passed off as home shop-made craft items.

If you have not done so, visit the venues where you think you would set up a both. Get an idea about the competition, customer base, craft show fees, sales tax reporting, business license requirements, what is/is not selling, etc. Some crafters utilize a consignment shop to sell their wares, but said that the shop takes a percentage of the sale and/or expects them to work in the shop.

Hope it works out for you.

Last edited by Ray Newman; 05-18-2017 at 1:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    Edward,
    I'm going to throw my $0.02 out here only because I really haven't seen anyone address it. I understand the hesitancy about buying used tools given you're new to woodworking but the quality and craftsmanship of the older American made tools is outstanding and most can be found in plug and play condition (meaning they don't need any work before you use them) and the price point is almost always going to be cheaper than buying new tools made overseas that generally don't come close to approaching the same level of quality and craftsmanship. Check out the classified ad sections at VintageMachinery.org and owwm.org and even post your own WTB (Want To Buy) ad there explaining your situation. You'll find there are a lot of good woodworkers out there who will be happy to help you out. Good luck!

Mike
    What Mike said. Seriously.

BTW the tool I wish I had bought right away is a good bandsaw. Can't be beat for versatility and usefulness, I use mine all the time (and not just for curved pieces.)
    Last edited by paul cottingham; 05-18-2017 at 2:17 PM.
    Paul

I would seriously consider a used Craigslist planer and put new blades on it. (or reverse the blades is so equipped) This allows you to buy rough cut lumber from small band saw outfits and save tons of my money.

A quick look at Springfield Craigslist, pulled up 30 hits for 'scroll saw', including nearby areas. I'd guess maybe 15 of them, could meet your short term needs. Prices range from $25 to $350. One might get you past the analysis paralysis, and not break the bank.

Good luck and thank you for your service.

You don't need a better table saw or a Festool track saw to make shop cabinets or shelves. A circular saw would work - I have done it - but I would recommend a Grizzly track saw. I use a DeWalt which I like a lot and it is roughly half the cost of a Festool if you price it with a long track. The Grizzly isn't available with a long track but you can use two shorter ones (and a piece that joins them). With a Grizzly track saw and your table saw I think you would be set for what you describe. You can make the little table saw more functional with one of Ron Paulk's workbenches (look for the youtubes). You can make the workbench with the track saw.

I have two DeWalt corded drills and used to use DeWalt cordless ones but the batteries got too expensive. I use my Ryobi cordless drills (2) and impact driver all the time. I've drilled 1/2 inch holes in a steel boat trailer with them and installed locksets in solid softwood doors with them. They are kind of low end but they work fine. I use a bunch of Ryobi cordless stuff - jigsaw, reciprocating saw, circular saw, brad nailer etc.. They all work. But a corded Bosch jig saw works a lot better and my corded DeWalt reciprocating saw is sometimes necessary if I have a lot of cutting to do. But for drills, the Ryobi 18V will do nearly anything you need a drill to do. I went through as many as 5 2x4s with one when I was wiring my shop.

Harbor freight is fine for clamps, especially C-clamps but also some larger ones. I have an impact drill from them that is pretty heavy duty especially for the price. But their cordless and corded tools are kind of like my Ryobi stuff. They work but shouldn't be trusted to do very precise work.

Harbor freight nailers, on the other hand, are great buys and generally work fine. If they don't, their return policy is good. I have a flooring nailer, 15 gauge, and 3 staplers from HF. They all work. I have other brands too but recent purchases have come from HF.

If you are not spraying finish with your compressor you don't need a particularly big one. I have three. The one I use the most is a little Senco that is the smallest. It will drive any of my nailers but I might have to occasionally wait a bit with the large ones. So if I was flooring a room, I'd get out one of the bigger compressors. But to shoot a few nails in the shop, the Senco is handier. A HF compressor would be fine for your situation as long as you are willing to use hearing protection when using it. They have oiled ones too which would be quieter. You can do a lot of work with a $50-100 compressor. You don't need more to drive nailers. I spray with a turbine unit so I don't have a use for a big compressor.