Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking to lower the initial cost of my first garage wood shop.

Looking to lower the initial cost of my first garage wood shop.

I was hoping for suggestions to what I can buy of equal quality to the Grizzly products but save some money? I desire New not used but do not know if Lowes or Home Depot has anything equal.
    also need choices for Air Compressor, 18 & 23 gauge nail guns, trying to save enough to add a dust collector but don't want to sacrifice quality for price savings.

Here are my Grizzly quotes for various methods of buy from all at once to splitting up.
    I decided to go with floor models of tablesaw, drill press, and bandsaw and the rest as Table Top versions.
    IMG_3950.jpgIMG_3951.jpgIMG_3952.jpg

I am a Disabled Veteran on limited income not trying to be cheap just looking for best bang for the buck, any help will be welcomed.

can you let us know what type of work you plan on doing? cabinets, small boxes, etc.

what do you plan on building is important .

There aren't really any options to be honest. Grizzly makes affordable good equipment in entry level to pro level machinery. I wouldn't buy anything but small power tools from a big box store, or I suppose portable table saws from Dewalt or Bosch if I was in the market.
    Your best option is to buy used, but you said you don't want to go that route.

And of course we need to know what you want to build before we can recommend specific items.

The only large items will be my shelves and storage tables and such for the workshop, after that it is for craft boxes, signs, gifts, small hobby stuff in the hopes of learning to make items to sell for an extra $500 a month income, hoping these shop tools can help me buy a small CNC router later and the CNC help get an Epilog Helix Laser engraver/cutter. And might try to learn how to lathe in the future.

my disability is not physical so that aspect won't be an issue, just hope the wood hobby can relax me and lessen my PTSD.

I think the 6" spiral cutter table Jointer, 13" Dewalt Table planer will be large enough for craft work, I also plan to upgrade planer with an after market spiral cutter.
    Last edited by Edward Henry; 05-12-2017 at 6:54 PM.

Trying to decide on an air compressor and 18 & 23 guage air nailers, a drill/driver set and such as well. I am itching to buy soon and I can get 90% of the stuff I want at Grizzly right now but will max out 2 credit cards. But if It is my best option I will go in Monday and place my order.

for now I have a Dewalt 10" table saw to use and saving for a Grizzly G0715P

Start with the Grizzly 1023 Table saw and a simple solid workbench IMHO. The rest will sort itself out over time. Some things are astonishing values used, such as well maintained older drill presses and scroll saws. Some things do not depreciate much, such as 8 inch jointers.

Buying things once and buying quality is much better than buying anything cheap.

If you buy a router the Bosch 1617evs is nice because you can slow it down and run larger router bits.

Learn to do things with hand tools, it can be very rewarding.

Don't worry too much about what other people think, build what you want and enjoy yourself.

If possible, I would put 220 in the shop. It will open...or build...a lot of doors.

You say you don't like the Idea of used but a VFD will allow you to run three phase motors of single phase power, three phase equipment can be often had very economically.

The fewer tools you can get by with to an extent the better. Gadgets don't solve problems or build things, rational thinking and acquired skills do.

Bandsaws are the most under rated tool you can have, also the most frustrating if your not patient and willing to work with them.

I would advise to think carefully before maxing out two credit cards to buy a bunch of equipment for craft type goods manufacturing. The profit margin on craft stuff is slim-slim-slim and you may drop an amount of cash into something that will not pay for itself anytime soon at all (if ever). Also, many folks have bought equipment set up for specific tasks that they end up not performing all that often. Chris H said to start up with a TS and a bench and then get started. Good advise as far as I am concerned. You need to better identify exactly what you are going to build because lots of the craft goods do not use some of the typical cabinet/furniture oriented equipment that you have indicated you want to buy. A garage shop gets small with a bunch of equipment (on rollers most likely) cuts into assembly/finishing space. Used can be a good way to get started while you are figuring out which specific direction to go because there have been many folks before you that have bought a bunch of equipment/tools that they figured out they don't want to use.
    David

My main aim worry about used is lack of knowledge on upkeep and repairs I figured with NEW items I would learn what was needed before it really needed repairs.

Router? Just the router or a router plunger combo? Router table?

220v I had planed to try and get cost on running a sub panel for 3-4 220 outlets around the garage but I only have a 100 breaker box in the house so that will need to be upgraded to 200. And get the garage lights on a separate breaker so if I do trip a breaker with the tools I won't be in the dark.

what is VFD? I read about 3 phase tools but no idea what 3 phase and single phase means.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    Start with the Grizzly 1023 Table saw and a simple solid workbench IMHO. The rest will sort itself out over time. Some things are astonishing values used, such as well maintained older drill presses and scroll saws. Some things do not depreciate much, such as 8 inch jointers.

Buying things once and buying quality is much better than buying anything cheap.

If you buy a router the Bosch 1617evs is nice because you can slow it down and run larger router bits.

Learn to do things with hand tools, it can be very rewarding.

Don't worry too much about what other people think, build what you want and enjoy yourself.

If possible, I would put 220 in the shop. It will open...or build...a lot of doors.

You say you don't like the Idea of used but a VFD will allow you to run three phase motors of single phase power, three phase equipment can be often had very economically.

The fewer tools you can get by with to an extent the better. Gadgets don't solve problems or build things, rational thinking and acquired skills do.

Bandsaws are the most under rated tool you can have, also the most frustrating if your not patient and willing to work with them.

Edward,
    I'm not going to repeat what has been said already because it's sound advice. There is nothing wrong with being frugal, sooner or later everything is going to be on sale or you find a good deal on used equipment. It would be different if you had a contract for many thousands of dollars and needed the machinery post haste. HD or Loews are a good place to start for an air compressor and nail guns and you don't have to spend a bunch sometimes the have a package deal so look around and don't rush.

Rick

I was told to get a large 30 gallon Air Compressor to insure I always have enough air for a project and blowing off the workshop area and tools.

(Chris Hachet) Why the $1,295.00 - $1,655 G1023RL, RLW, RLWX, or RLX over the $895.00 G0715P? is the cheaper one too low in quality for a small wood shop? Does this mean my Choice in $450 Drill Press and $895 Bandsaw need to be raised to the $1,000+ ones for better quality or future proofing as I learn more? I am rapidly beginning to think I should just forget this until I can sell this house and buy a bigger property in AZ to build a dedicated 25'x25' shop.

Edward, maybe you should wait until you move, no reason to pay to have it moved. Moving expenses are high and I'm guessing you have to pay for delivery to your present location.

Rick

Here's an argument for not buying it all at once. What if you buy $4k worth of equipment then find out you don't like batch cutting parts for craft fair shows for $500 a month (don't forget about cost of materials, your time, and time at the craft show)?

If I were you, I'd figure out what you want to make/sell, and only get the tools you need for that. When you decide to make other items, buy those tools.

There's not much money in woodworking, and maxing out 2 credit cards for tools doesn't sound like a good financial investment.

I don't want to discourage you getting into the hobby, but leaping in like this could be a bad move. I strongly suggest you look to buy used to save some money. Even brand new tools need adjusting and setting up (jointer needs tables and cutterhead aligned and fence squared, same as what a good used machine would need). Woodworking is therapudic for many of us, but it wouldn't be for me if I knew I was in CC debt because of it.
    Last edited by Matt Day; 05-12-2017 at 8:49 PM.

I'm going to make an alternative suggestion to you for startup, especially given you will be moving soon...pick a woodworking specialty to get going, such as turning or scrolling since you can stay compact for the moment and get the relaxation and satisfaction you want to help with your personal therapy "now" while saving up a little and also learning more about tools and tool choices between now and when you have the larger space. IMHO, buying quality always trumps price. In fact, long time members here know that I've often said something to the effect, "The most expensive tools are the ones you buy early and often". In other words, quality costs less in the long run, despite a little higher initial cost.

Again, consider this as an alternative to getting a bunch of stuff for a fixed amount of money that you may not be happy with in the long run.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Henry View Post
    I was told to get a large 30 gallon Air Compressor to insure I always have enough air for a project and blowing off the workshop area and tools.

(Chris Hachet) Why the $1,295.00 - $1,655 G1023RL, RLW, RLWX, or RLX over the $895.00 G0715P? is the cheaper one too low in quality for a small wood shop? Does this mean my Choice in $450 Drill Press and $895 Bandsaw need to be raised to the $1,000+ ones for better quality or future proofing as I learn more? I am rapidly beginning to think I should just forget this until I can sell this house and buy a bigger property in AZ to build a dedicated 25'x25' shop.
    I like a little heavier saw and three horsepower really works nicely. I would not spend $450 on a drill press new, $450 carefully spent used will get you a drill press you would have trouble buying new at a much higher price. For slightly more than the $895 I bought a used Powermatic 87 bandsaw. It sold new for almost ten thousand dollars the last time it was available new...a Powermatic 87 will cut quarter inch thick steel without slowing down...it weighs 1300 pounds...it is unreal what you can buy in the used market.

Actually I would spend Less and take your time to find really good equipment used and then get comfortable with each piece one at a time. For a drill press a nice heavy duty bench top unit can be found under a hundred dollars. A nice used American made Delta 14 inch band saw can still be found for four or five hundred dollars and will beat any newer saw short of say a $1500 Laguna.

You can blow down the shop with an electric leaf blower, a corded one is very cheap.

Your equipment will eventually need repair and calibration, you might as well learn about it buying it used and setting it up.

Skill set is much more important than which tools you use.
    Last edited by Chris Hachet; 05-12-2017 at 9:01 PM.