Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lumber choice for porch decking? Oak, Birch, SYP?

Lumber choice for porch decking? Oak, Birch, SYP?

Hi,
    I am wondering if others could weigh in here... I have a porch that needs re-covering (tongue & groove style), and have availability of (green) Birch @$0.25 a board foot, (green) Oak @$0.35 a board foot & (kiln dried) SYP @$1.00 a board foot. I have no idea the weatherability of Oak & Birch. I believe the previous owners used southern yellow pine for the previous covering... Project is a year away, so I should have time to air dry the green lumber.
    I'd welcome any input. I'm planning on sealing the porch, but I'm sure moisture is going to leak...
    thanks!

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Those are incredible prices.
    I personally would not use birch, it is not resistant to rot. Oak, especially white oak on the other hand, is very rot resistant. I'm not familiar with Southern Yellow Pine, only Northern varieties and they lack longevity and rot resistance. Other options, if available to you, are Western Red Cedar and Redwood.

John L has pretty much covered it, but I would emphasize WHITE oak. Red oak is a different critter altogether in terms of rot resistance and does not survive well in exposed weather conditions. White oak on the other hand was a traditional shipbuilding material.

Quote Originally Posted by John Gustafson View Post
    John L has pretty much covered it, but I would emphasize WHITE oak. Red oak is a different critter altogether in terms of rot resistance and does not survive well in exposed weather conditions. White oak on the other hand was a traditional shipbuilding material.

Agree completely on the white oak thing...

I have a lot of experience using SYP treated decking. I would not recommend T&G on any outdoor deck. No matter how dry you think the wood is, if exposed to sun it will still shrink, leaving a gap that just collect debris.

The way I do it is but the boards tight and let them shrink on their own. If relatively dry, this will usually give a 1/8" gap.

I just redid my deck with composite decking.

No way it can compete cost wise, but aesthetically/maintenance wise it might be worth at least looking at. It will outperform wood in harsh environments.

For me, it was well worth it just for the fact I don't have to maintain it.

Good luck - don't forget to countersink those screws.

Blog Entries
    Build a deck or a fence of wood, build it again. I changed to syntho. More expensive at the start but, way cheaper in the long run. Of course I prefer real wood but, for me and my lifestyle, building the deck once is enough.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

For a roofed porch I would use KDAT (kiln dried after treating)southern yellow pine. A good lumber yard will have this in T&G.

So much work to redo so use good material for longevity.

Like Robert, just redid my covered deck with composite. It is however much more expensive up-front. White oak should be a good choice though from past experience the maintenance effort, while not especially expensive, is labor intensive. To verify the type of oak, you might reference Louis Sauzedde's method ...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6t2AZubF8U
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I would probably use the pine but only if I could pick it myself and reject all of the pieces that are not run "bark side up".
    Luck and operator ignorance usually make about 60 percent of t and g run the wrong way. That means "razor blades" up.

This is an area in which I have some experience. Traditionally, in the south, T&G porch floors were made with Cypress according to my research. Unfortunately, the cypress available today is nothing like the cypress if old as most is young and grown for processing. Old growth cypress is only readily available in the form of reclaimed timbers and is very expensive.

I use cypress anyway and have had decent luck. It is easy to find T&G flooring in lengths suitible for the "front to back" orientation that porch flooring is traditionally laid.

I bought mine from Jimmy's Cypress in Texas somewhere. I would use them again.

No doubt oak would probably be a better choice in today's world, but I don't know how much luck you'll have finding white oak flooring in bundles of equal length that are sufficient to cover the depth of your porch. You might have to mill them yourself. But I haven't done the research.

The one thing I recommend regardless of species is to thoroughly prime ALL SIX SIDES of each board before installing. It will not interfere with the T&G fit, but will vastly improve the life of your porch.

In this part of the country, we have a saying; Southern porches are like ice sculptures, the minute you're finished with them they start melting.

One more tip. If you do lay your flooring in the traditional front to back orientation, consider using a breadboard to cap the ends.
    Last edited by Russell Smallwood; 05-13-2017 at 2:58 PM.

wow, thanks so much for replies, much appreciated.

The deck is a traditional old style porch, not really a deck, which is the reason for the T&G (it was made about 1905 & the porch has been re-laid since then). Otherwise, yep, I would opt for decking with the gaps between. Sounds like quite a few votes for the white oak (I'll check that it's white). I am tempted to go with southern yellow pine (kiln dried), as that would match with the original wood, but I like the sound of $0.25 a board foot (oak) :-)

edited to add that yes, I'm planning on doing the milling myself...
    Last edited by Bert Pohl; 05-13-2017 at 3:57 PM.

In my area of upstate New York, older and historic homes sport porches with 3 1/4" wide fir t&g decking which is painted. When i built the traditional porch on our own house 7 years ago, I used 3 coats of west system epoxy on the exposed end grain along the front and oil primer with 2 coats finish paint. There are 150 & 200 year old porches in the village that are still in great shape and they didn't have the epoxy end grain. I realize that fir is not one of the species that you have access to at a great price, but it presents one more option.

Some of the porches were covered with painted canvas, pretty common in some places. Haven't done a whole porch but have used it on things like sills that were peeling from being installed heart side up. And I covered some old walk boards that the masons used. Old House Journal had a write up or two about painted canvas. Some stuff on you tube,too.

Bob, if memory serves me correct the T&G boards were at right angles to the house so that if any water was collected it would not be trapped, theoretically.
    Rick

Where in the world do you live. are those prices in US Dollars. Is snow and ice a issue or is heat and sun. It would help if we knew something about your climate. Lots of houses here in California have a cast concrete porch deck with a wooden support framed into the house.
    Bill