Thread: Long Hand Jointer ... anyone have one?

Long Hand Jointer ... anyone have one?

Hello all .... I recall my grandfather owning a metal hand jointer that was about 3' long or so. I have no idea where it went, but I need a reference photo of one taken from as "broadside" as possible. I won't be using the actual photo ... I'll be using it as a reference shot for a drawing, & perhaps a 3D applique on a sign.
    I can't find what I need on-line.
    If this is the right direction for this sign to take, you'll see it posted on the sign sub-forum here when done.
    In advance, I thank you ....

TR

Are you referring to a "jointer plane"? If so, then google "Stanley #8" and you will get lots of images.
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

A no 8 is closer to 2' though! It could be 3' through kids eyes though. Maybe a wood body plane that length, but not metal, that I know of at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    A no 8 is closer to 2' though! It could be 3' through kids eyes though. Maybe a wood body plane that length, but not metal, that I know of at least.

Agreed, but close enough to make a drawing from...kind of cool to think of that big hand plane through the eyes of a kid!

Blog Entries
    3' for a hand plane is unusual to say the least. Jointing can be done with a 7 or 8 Stanley or similar.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    3' for a hand plane is unusual to say the least. Jointing can be done with a 7 or 8 Stanley or similar.

Or even shorter. I used a #5 for forever.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    Or even shorter. I used a #5 for forever.
    I agree, completely.

Well, you guys are likely correct .. through a kid's eyes, it probably seemed huge. I think it was longer than 24" though, for sure. He had an electric jointer by the time I was old enough to be in the shop, so I never ever saw him use it ...

was it a steel plane? I consider a #8 to be pretty huge, and I'm not a little kid.

There are 3' long planes and much larger, but that size is going to be wood.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodger MacMunn View Post
    Well, you guys are likely correct .. through a kid's eyes, it probably seemed huge. I think it was longer than 24" though, for sure. He had an electric jointer by the time I was old enough to be in the shop, so I never ever saw him use it ...
    Look up Stanley #8 and it's likely the plane in question unless your grandfather was a cooper or in a specialized trade that required a special set of planes.

Very few trades require specialized long planes and then most are wooden not metal.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 05-13-2017 at 6:23 PM.

Looks like this?
    SDC15192.jpg
    10 pounds of plane.....was too big for my shop, so I sold it. Type 9, No.8c

Blog Entries
    Patrick Leach once had a plane longer than the #8 listed on his monthly tool offering. I can not recall if it was 30 or 36". He felt it was likely a prototype or experimental piece.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

At 3' it is likely to be a cooper's jointer, although there are long jointers around ... in wood, not metal.

I built one as a cooper's plane a few years ago using a 3" wide Berg blade. 36" in length. Here you can see it alongside a Stanley #7 ...

These planes are designed to be used upside down to plane staves for barrels ..

However, I built mine in a way that I could use it as a traditional jointer ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

I believe the longest Metallic jointer made was a Hahn at 27". If you search for Edwin Hahn. You may find an image. I've been looking for one for a while as well.
    Don
    TimeTestedTools