Thread: General Finishes HP poly container corrosion

Unhappy General Finishes HP poly container corrosion

I am working on a small woodturning project with purpleheart and wanted a finish with UV protection. So I picked up a pint of GF HP gloss poly. Unfortunately GF uses steel containers for their water borne finishes. I have opened and closed the can about 6 times in a week and can see rust forming aound the rim. I had been careful to keep things clean. It may have been coroding before i bought it, i just was not looking at it carefully. Is this normal? I know latex paint does this. I will pour the rest into a glass or plastic container and toss the can. I am glad i did not buy a larger container. I wish GF website had a way to give feedback so I could give them an earful.

They do have a website, doesn't everyone?
    https://generalfinishes.com

I've had cans for years and haven't corroded. Do your other metal things that in your shop?

This might help too:
    https://generalfinishes.com/videos/t...s#.WRdHR4EpCEc

I would not give them an earful. I'd call and talk normally to customer service person or tech support and see what they say.

Yes, they have a web site, but don't list a number or any other contact information. They want you to take up your support questions wth the distributor, which for me is my local Woodcraft. My shop is conditioned and dehumidified. I think this is simply one of those issues with putting slighly corrosive chemicals in a steel container and relying on a thin coating to protect the steel. To be fair this is not a issue only for GF. I heard the decision for steel is driven by environmental concerns to avoid plastic from a paint store person. Seems short sighted since i still end up getting a plastic container to salvage the rest of the can or toss all of the remaining paint. I've never had a steel latex paint can last more than a few years without some rust contamination. Using saran wrap between the lid and can seems to help. Sorry for the rant.

Fact of life with WB products. Ever have a can of Sealcoat shellac spring a leak through the side weld? Now that will really make your blood boil.

John

After years of irritation with rusted lids ... 2 years-ago I started brushing-on (in) a thin layer of vaseline around the lid-and-can contact area.
    Just use a 1" foam brush and 'scrunch' it down-and-around.

Randall,

I use a lot of General Finishes products and have seen the corrosion on the top. It may not be acceptable but i would say it is normal.

Sam,

I like your idea. I suppose you use so little that it doesn't cause problems with the water based finish?
    Gary