Thread: Outdoor bench questions

Outdoor bench questions

Hi, gentlemen.
    I'll be as brief as I can.
    I am planning to expand from building electric guitars to also doing traditional hand building of furniture and/or anything else I might think I would enjoy. Traditional joinery, dovetails, mortise and tenon, half laps, dados, etc.
    I have been building guitars for 7-8 years using a Black and Decker Workmate. I have done things with a plane like flattening the bodies, truing up scarf joints cut by hand, etc., by simply butting the legs of the workmate against a heavy steel tool chest I have out on my porch ( the tool chests you see on the back of work trucks, etc.). Not the most stable platform for planing, but it has worked so far. But if I am going to be doing more hand building, I realize I truly do need a larger, heavier, more stable woodworking bench.
    My problem is that I live in a trailer, and my funds are limited. So building a shed/workshop is out of the question. I have a 10x12 metal garden shed(like the Arrow sheds, etc.) that I could put up. But the ceiling is low, and I'm not an electrician, nor do I have the cash to pay someone to run electric, or the knowledge to do it myself, deal with inspectors, building code compliance, landlord concerns, yada yada yada. I also don't want to turn the shed into a shop because I want to be able to film for Youtube, etc., perhaps a very amateur woodworking channel, and I don't think I could get the lighting right in a dark shed.
    So, since I have been building outdoors on my porch for 7-8 years, I know working outdoors is feasible.
    My plan is this:
    Build a bench from reclaimed 2x4, untreated SPF. I don't think I'd be able to find treated 2x4 people are giving away, but I might be able to find old interior studs, etc., that people who have done renovations, repairs and such to their homes are trying to get rid of. I also don't fancy using my planes on treated wood. I know it will take time to gather, but I believe it is doable.
    So, build a nice, large bench, using traditional methods, using Titebond III for glue up. If I need more weight, sandbags on a bottom shelf should do the trick. Cover the bench with Thompson's Water Seal, set the feet on patio stone, and cover with a tarp while not in use. Location would be my back yard, and I would erect the shed as a place to store wood and ongoing projects, and build a tool chest with castors that housed all of my tools, so that I could move them back and forth from my house to the bench when building.
    I know that the bench will shift with seasonal changes, so I'm not likely to have a dead flat surface for very long. I could resurface from time to time, or just work around it. I know I could do this, as I have already been working around things like this for several years, now.
    I also know, being untreated, even when sealed, that I'd probably only get about 5 years out of the bench. I don't have a problem rebuilding when the time comes, and in the meantime I may come up with a better option.
    I will be going through some of the bench build threads here, but thought to get experienced opinions from this community, particularly those who have faced/overcome similar limitations.
    Thanks in advance to all.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like a good start. You will be surprised how long a bench can last outside. Here in the Pacific Northwest we get a lot of rain and humidity. Some of my projects have lived beyond 5 years with just a coat of paint and not other protection.

You would be surprised at how much light a couple of the new LED fixtures on an extension cord can provide in your shed.

My current bench is a bit of a light weight and liked to 'dance' when a piece needed planing. My solution was a bucket full of cement at one end.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ch-Hold-Steady

In your case of building a new bench you might look at pier blocks or whatever they are called. These would be the footings that are a cement pyramid with a metal bracket for a 4X4 on top. These would be a good source of weight if they do not get in the way. They would also make the wood needed for the legs shorter. I have sometimes been able to collect these from renovations sites for free.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

[QUOTE=Jim Koepke;2689761]Sounds like a good start. You will be surprised how long a bench can last outside. Here in the Pacific Northwest we get a lot of rain and humidity. Some of my projects have lived beyond 5 years with just a coat of paint and not other protection.{/QUOTE}

This gives me a lot of hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My current bench is a bit of a light weight and liked to 'dance' when a piece needed planing. My solution was a bucket full of cement at one end.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ch-Hold-Steady
    Nice, simple solution.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Mike Baker 2; 05-13-2017 at 2:19 PM.

Hi Mike,
    What part of the country do you live in and is your trailer located in a park or on private property?
    As far as your metal shed do not store anything you like in there the condensation from the metal will ruin everything. I have part of my abode in a 5th wheel and part in 2 stick built rooms and my power tools are outside under tarps, but this SoCal and mostly desert.
    IMG_2128.jpg I'm not having any luck uploading a picture of the outside work area under the tarps on the other side.
    Rick

Rick, hi.
    I live in Virginia.
    As for the shed, it will be for wood storage or storage of projects until completion.
    None of my hard earned tools will be stored anywhere but safe in my home.
    I would love to see that work area of yours, if you can get it working.

And we live in a trailer park. Not one of those where the trailers are jammed together. Our park is set up like an ordinary community. We have a nice, fat yard, and the back yard is almost secluded.
    Last edited by Mike Baker 2; 05-13-2017 at 10:03 PM.

This should give you a better idea.

IMG_1233.jpg
    This was before the bench...
    IMG_1438.jpg
    The unsubstantial bench that was not made for woodworking...
    IMG_2204.jpg
    This was made last winter so I could do wood working inside, the view is looking into the 5th wheel and the kitchen sink is on the other side of the pass thru

That's pretty awesome right there. Thanks.
    I can't wait to get started.