Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Return Stanley 750 Chisels?

Return Stanley 750 Chisels?

I'm considering returning the new Stanley 750 chisel set purchased a few weeks ago and replacing them with something of better quality. The set was purchased after reading several positive reviews. Several of them also mentioned that the protective coating on the steel was tough to remove. I didn't realize how tough until giving it a go myself. I've soaked one of the chisels in lacquer thinner and acetone for a day but it takes a good amount of rubbing with steel wool to finally lift off the protective film. Before returning the chisels is there a better way to get rid of the coating? Are chisels from Lie Nielsen and other quality manufacturers coated with the same stuff. I would gladly pay twice what was paid for the 750s if I didn't have to go through this exercise and not flatten the backs.

My LN and Veritas chisels did not come with the coating. Do you think scraping with razor may be easier, if it is such a thick coating?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Martin View Post
    My LN and Veritas chisels did not come with the coating. Do you think scraping with razor may be easier, if it is such a thick coating?
    How much effort did you have to go through to prepare the chisels; flatten the backs, etc?

Didn't have a problem with mine, there was no protective coating. I just had to flatten the backs and sharpen.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    How much effort did you have to go through to prepare the chisels; flatten the backs, etc?
    Very little. Both sets had flat backs. Veritas was better. Took may be 3 mins to do final honing on each. I sold my LN set after getting the Veritas PMV-11 set.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ost View Post
    Didn't have a problem with mine, there was no protective coating. I just had to flatten the backs and sharpen.
    You're one of the lucky ones based on what I've read from other owners. But are you sure that it had no protective coating? Mine was clear and virtually undetectable until soaking it in solvent and partially exposing bare steel. If that coating gets into a sharpening stone you might have a real mess on your hands.

I finally was able to remove most if not all of the coating on one chisel after repeated soaking in lacquer thinner, scraping with a razor (Frank - Thanks for the suggestion) and rubbing with steel wool.
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 05-14-2017 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Martin View Post
    Very little. Both sets had flat backs. Veritas was better. Took may be 3 mins to do final honing on each. I sold my LN set after getting the Veritas PMV-11 set.
    Any particular reason why you chose the Veritas chisels over the LNs? I'm seriously considering giving up on the 750s and replacing them with either the Veritas, LN or IBC set. The later just became known to me after watching a Rob Cosman video.

I'm considering returning the new Stanley 750 chisel set purchased a few weeks ago and replacing them with something of better quality. The set was purchased after reading several positive reviews. Several of them also mentioned that the protective coating on the steel was tough to remove. I didn't realize how tough until giving it a go myself. I've soaked one of the chisels in lacquer thinner and acetone for a day but it takes a good amount of rubbing with steel wool to finally lift off the protective film. Before returning the chisels is there a better way to get rid of the coating? Are chisels from Lie Nielsen and other quality manufacturers coated with the same stuff. I would gladly pay twice what was paid for the 750s if I didn't have to go through this exercise and not flatten the backs.
    Steve,

From what I'm reading you would not be returning the chisels because of defects and you would return chisels that were not in as sold condition. If I were the seller that would be enough to write you off and maybe refuse to accept the return. From a looking at myself in the mirror each morning that one is a no brainer. If you don't like the chisels sell 'em at a small loss and go on down the road.

As to the new 750's, they are not the best but are a long way from bad chisels. In fact if the chose was between the 750's and LN the 750's would win in a heartbeat for no other reason the LN's are A-2 which limits the ability to sharpen at lower angles and limits the usable sharpening medium. There are a lot of good chisels on the market with different steel and chisels are very personal, buy one to try until you find a make that works for your sharpening system and your use. Then complete your set.

ken

Any particular reason why you chose the Veritas chisels over the LNs? I'm seriously considering giving up on the 750s and replacing them with either the Veritas, LN or IBC set. The later just became known to me after watching a Rob Cosman video.
    The main difference is going to be the PM-V11 available on the Veritas. Also, there are some handle differences, but individual ergonomic preferences aside, the PM-V11 option is the major difference between the LV and LN offerings. They both should have dead flat backs out of the box and require only a final honing. I have the Veritas, and they are fine chisels with nice handles. LN should also be a very fine set.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Steve,

From what I'm reading you would not be returning the chisels because of defects and you would return chisels that were not in as sold condition. If I were the seller that would be enough to write you off and maybe refuse to accept the return. From a looking at myself in the mirror each morning that one is a no brainer. If you don't like the chisels sell 'em at a small loss and go on down the road.

ken
    The obnoxious coating is a defect IMHO. There is no reason that I can think of for a manufacturer to use it, especially considering when it's generally accepted that a chisel has to be prepared before use. Other manufacturers seem to get by without it. I wouldn't feel right just passing along the problem to someone else. Thanks for convincing me to send them back.

The obnoxious coating is a defect IMHO. There is no reason that I can think of for a manufacturer to use it, especially considering when it's generally accepted that a chisel has to be prepared before use. Other manufacturers seem to get by without it. I wouldn't feel right just passing along the problem to someone else. Thanks for convincing me to send them back.
    Why do you say its a defect? What does Stanley say about it? Do their instructions say to remove it? What method do they recommend?

Blog Entries
    The obnoxious coating is a defect IMHO.
    Tool makers have been using a protective coating for as long as I can remember.

One person's 'defect' is another person's feature.

In effect, you will be returning them because you do not like the packaging.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 05-14-2017 at 3:26 PM. Reason: In effect...
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Maybe the "coating" doesn't say it is from LV or L-N?

soon as whatever it is( lacquer?) comes off...it might start to rust....then they'd have to maintain it....horrors.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Why do you say its a defect? What does Stanley say about it? Do their instructions say to remove it? What method do they recommend?
    It is a defect for the reasons provided earlier.
    I can't find anything on Stanley's website about the coating and nothing was included (instructions) with the chisels mentioning a coating.

I already have a return address label from the seller and will be sending everything back tomorrow. The reason for the return was included with my request.
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 05-14-2017 at 5:15 PM.

My old 1965Marples chisels had such a thin coating of lacquer on them,i didn't really notice it until the coating wore off in spots and the steel became a bit darker. I have never bothered to mess with this very thin coating.

Some makers,like Hirsch and 2 cherries,really lay on a very thick coating which I really dislike. I haven't worked with a set of the new Stanleys,so I don't know about their coating. I have seen them hanging in racks in the millwork shop at the museum,but never used them. They seemed very accurately ground,though.

Every time a carpenter in the museum retired,he'd get a new set of those Stanleys !